Hamburg Mattenfilter any good?

Shilo

Hi Guys,

I am currently in the planning stages of up-sizing my tank. I'm thinking of one around the 150 liter mark. Since a small $ problem is getting in the way, I will be DIYing the stand, hood and possibly the tank itself.

The small filter I'm using now won't cope, so I will make this as well. My trouble is what type (or types) to make. Currently its a toss up between a Fluidized Bed Filter, a Wet/Dry Filter, and now just to confuse me - a Hamburg Mattenfilter???

This last one is basically a foam mat wall in the tank which water passes through allowing a large surface area for the bacteria to do their job. The link I found it on is:

http://www.aaquaria.com/aquasource/mattenfilter.shtm

The advantages look like being:

1. Large surface area.

2. Draws water from the complete water column.

3. Maintenance free - no ongoing costs (apart from power).

4. Easy to install.

Disadvantages are:

1. Unsightly (but can be planted up with Java Moss etc.)

2. Takes up room in the tank.

3. Long cycling time.

4. One less excuse to go to the fish shop for supplies :D

Has anybody use this method before? What other disadvantages can you see with it? What type of foam mat could be used?

More info can be found at http://www.deters-ing.de/ its in German but those with Google can translate via the Page Info button. But beware Yodi speak you if do this.

Hi Shilo

Your first link is not working. At least not for me. The second link, read it in german, Has a very interesting point in it. Regarding socalled "dirty" filters. As you said before it is unsightly. I personally would not put anything unsightly in my tank. After all, it is supposed to be a "showtank".

By the way, I haven't got the foggiest about the "Hamburg Mattenfilter". To me it sounds like an oversized "Hamburger" :P .

BFN

John

Hi John

Your first link is not working.

Your right. The URL is exactly the same as in my bookmarks (cut and pasted) but can't be accessed via the link above :-?

The front door to the page is: http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquasource/aquasource.shtml

Go to Hamburg Mattenfilter. Its just a translated version of what you have read in German.

I personally would not put anything unsightly in my tank.

I'm thinking of heaps of plants and aquarium frame of the stand/hood going up the side of the tank to hide the edge of the foam.

Cheers

Shilo

From the sound of it, it's just a huge sponge filter. I can't see how you'd get away without cleaning it ever, though. If you want to go with sponge filters you'd probably be better off having a couple smaller, easier to hide ones in the corners or somewhere. Personally, I'd suggest a cannister filter like a fluval 404, don't need anything really exotic for a tank that size.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Ira is right. It IS a huge sponge filter. Here are some pics. http://www.deters-ing.de/Allgemeines/aquaneu.htm.

Quite a complicated formulae. Filtermaterial versus Pump. Etc.

The site would have to be translated. It is in german. Try to copy it, then let google translate. Not a 100%, but better than nothing.

John

Update

Someone on an Austrian Forum posted the question/answer regarding that filter. Tons of advantages, only one disadvantage. You lose 10 to 20cm of your tank-lenght. If someone is really interested and cannot get it translated then I will try to download the article and translate it for him/her. Here is a short excerpt. A biologigal filter, ceramic noodles for instance, have an enourmous area where the bacteria can accumulate. That is in theory. BUT, if the pores are smaller than the size of the bacteria, it will clog up and render it more or less useless. So he says, the author, and I agree. Sales gimmick. That Hamburger Mattenfilter uses an ordinary spongfilter the size of your complete side of your tank. And an appropriate pump to exchange/turnover the water a certain times per hour. Important. As you all know a sponge comes in different grades. But it is the sheer size of it which makes it a perfect place for bacteria to grow. It only has to be replaced/cleaned every couple of years. So the price of this type of filter is, a cheap sponge and an appropriate pump. Could not get any cheaper. The results are apparently amazing. Think about it.

John

Just judging from the sponge in my fluvals and scaling up, I'd say that sponge would still need cleaned far more than every few years. Every 6 months maximum, I'd say in a tank with more than a small bioload. Anyway, you're going through having this huge ugly sponge in your tank just to have a massive surplus of area for bacteria that isn't going to be used anyway. Kinda like towing around an empty 500 gallon fuel tank with your car even though you're filling up the cars tank whenever it gets down to 1/4 full.

Hi Ira

Your Fluval is the same as mine. The sponge you are talking about is the FIRST filter in your cannister. It picks up ALL rubbish. That is the reason why you have to clean it more often. I don't know what other filters that guy has, but the Hamburger Matternfilter is one for Biological filtration ONLY. I don't think anyone with one Tetra in a 200 gal tank would want or need that type of filter. But, on the other hand, it can handle quite a load of fish, plants and other ammonia producing substances. Don't knock it yet. I did not say it is a filter for everyone. I assume you have a 404. Some people also think that is the best for their 30l tank. Also a total overkill. Everything has to be seen in a certain perspective. And your 500gal fueltank example also makes sense. So don't get me wrong. I am not condemning or criticising you. You are right. In your own way. But....

John

• 2 months later...

Hi all

This is a Commercial HMF. The white stuff is the ceramic biological filter, which needs NEVER a clean. The blue stuff is the 2 part foam, only needs a clean ONCE a year.

hmfilter1.jpg

The blue foam is facing into a corner. The lot can be hidden by a couple of plants.

John

Pity about the colour. It will show up even if covered with plants but I suppose it will soon turn dark brown - black with debris and bacteria growth.

Still thinking about the Mattenfilter but this time in the sump. Definite overkill with a wet/dry, but have a perfect place for it :)

Cheers

Shilo

• 1 year later...

My Mattenfilter works primo.I put a picture frame around my tank and planted the foam with javamoss and ferns.the older the better it works.you can always put it in as a corner filter.all my tanks got one.very cheap just the foam ,i bought a whole sheat 2m*1,2m for a 100 bucks last me a lifetime and does a lot of tanks biggest one 640 litres.