Explanation please?

Maxy

I have just tested my tank water to find that ammonia is back up to 2.4, nitrite is 0.1 and nitrate is 5. These are all Hagen test kits. Did my weekly 25% water change on friday, new plants are growing well and filter running fine. I found a dead fish at the back of the tank, could this be a possible reason?

Doesn't mean it's good advice :)

Maxy: dead fish would almost def be the cause of the spike, poss do a 10% water only change, just to dilute the ammonia some if the fish look uncomfortable, otherwise just keep a close eye on the readings and be ready to waterchange more often if needed as things balance back out again.

I was doing 10% daily for about two weeks then did a tank overhaul and things improved vastly, hence my frustration tonight. Ammonia hasnt been zero yet, but sat just above 0.6 after the overhaul. The plants are quite thick at the back and perfect for hiding a dead fish. Everyone seems happy enough, maybe he wasnt a very popular fish and they plotted against him?! Anyway will test again tomorrow and let you all know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

yes ignorance is bliss alright, I too don't have an ammonia test kit and all my fish are doing fine too. I use stress coat to get chlorine etc and heavy metals from the tap water and hasn't been a problem. Lots of plants good filtration and lots of air into the water seems to have helped for me. Some fish are just weaker than others and tend to kark it easier. Survival of the fittest.

Ammonia gets more toxic at higher ph levels, I find the most important thing to check is ph. I test my tanks when there is a problem but always advise begginers to be alot more thorough in doing their tests as they don't yet know tell tale signs of somthing about to go wrong.

Plus just because fish arn't dying doesn't mean they are living comfortably in the conditions they would in the wild.

The biggest cause of disease in fish is stress and in my experience the most common cause of stress is the wrong ph

Good luck

Daniel