Plants BEST for gold fish tank?

@ndrew

Hey, I am a new to this website, but differently not to goldfish. I have got 3 large and what I think very happy 8-year-old goldfish.

I generally don’t have plants in my tank because of the bad and troublesome experiences that I have in the past. I would like to know what is the best all around good plant you would recommend for a large goldfish tank.

I brought plants from the a pet shop (animates) in the pasted and had no luck, they seem to just sit in the tank and rot.

I would like to know what would be the best plant, that would help keep my tank heathly.

Hi @Andrew,

Great to have you join us on the forum.

You say:

I brought plants from the a pet shop (animates) in the pasted and had no luck, they seem to just sit in the tank and rot.

Plants mainly rot away from two causes, lack of light, or lack of food, but can also die through constant nibbling by the fish.

Have you any substrate in the tank (gravel) and filtration ?

Many of the plants you find in the shops just don't get along well in cold water, but Elodia does, and some of the Myriophyllum's plus some Hygrophila, Cabomba's and Ludwigia.

If you click on the Twin Fishes at the top of this page you will find another part of this forum where there is a huge plant list which tells you the various conditions for plants... either cold or warm water.

Hope this helps :)

Bill (Pegasus)

Hi @ndrew welcome to the fishroom.

I successfully had Java fern in my goldfish tank. It was good because the goldfish tended to leave it alone - they eat most other plants.

Another which was good was water sprite. It tended to float as the fishes pulled it up but new plants grew fast enough to replce the rooted ones which died as the goldfish nibbled away at the base of the stems.

Yes I do have enough filtration (however I would like to improvement, but its more than OK) and just over 1.5" of gravel. I have a coloured light, however since the tank in a situation, which receives penalty of natural light - it is not need through the day.

:P Welcome @ndrew

I believe that plain ol oxygen weed is GREAT :D for having in goldfish tank/pond. Redwood Aquatic sells good plants and gives good advice re establishing them etc. Good luck. Good to hear about older goldfish doing well. I see so many leave shops in bags to be placed in small bowls etc. Makes me sad. :cry: