Someone, anyone please help

Maxy

Have just got home to find my red tailed black shark lying on his side on the tank floor. He is trying so hard to live but I dont know whats wrong with him or what to do. I have put him in an isolation trap and added tonic salt but dont know what else to do. He is struggling to breathe. All the other fish, including another shark the same as him, are fine.

Hi Maxy

I'd do the full set of test , Ph ,ammonia etc but also a water change would not be a bad idea. not to big say 25%.

Keep and eye on him but don't mixed medication , you have tried salt and thats good just give it time to work.

Good luck I hope he's going to be ok :o

Have just done my weekly 25% water change on Friday night, my ammonia is up but at the same level it always is, cant seem to get it to 0 (see post in beginners corner) and can only do ammonia nd pH as they are the only testing kits I have at the moment. Have added salt but I fear Im too late as he isnt improving much

Maxy, how old is your tank, if the Ammonia is still up the Nitrite and Nitrate probably are as well, you may need to do more than weekly water changes to keep the Ammonia and Nitrite levels down until it cycles properly, how often are you cleaning out the filter?

It does sound like a very heavily stocked tank, just under 50 fish by the sounds of it. You may find it is hard getting the tank to cycle properly with a heavy load straight away, usually you start out with a few fish (say 1/2 a dozen or so) and stock up slowly allowing enough time for the bacteria to adjust to the waste load. Doing extra water changes will help, 10% daily would be a good way to keep the Ammonia & Nitrite levels down.

Tank been operational since 18/2/05 with first fish introduced 25/2. Have noticed a few minutes ago that my dwarf blue gourami is behaving v strangley. Has always been a very timid fish and is now out in the open and looking a little bloated. Keyholes are now inhabiting the shipwreck he called home. Is this a standoff or something more serious? Am feeling like crap at the mo, as everything I seem to be doing is wrong

If you are close to a fish shop i would say take some water in and get it checked, cheaper than buying the test kits and will either find it is the culprit or rule it out, although you should get them at some stage, it's hard to say with the Gourami as i'm not sure how aggresive the Keyholes are.

Personally i would be trying daily water changes to see if the fish perk up, it's hard to treat them when there is no sign of what is wrong with them. Try not to clean your filter to often, i find with my Eheim that the hoses slowly block up so try giving the hoses a quick clean when you notice the flow slowing down and if that doesn't restore the flow then clean the filter.

I would try the water changes before i would use the ammo-lock as the water changes will make for less chemicals in the water.

MAxy,

I notice you say on your profile you are a farm worker. Maybe some contamination off teh farm or something getting in to teh tank some other way? HAve you got lids on your tank? Have you tested the water you are adding?? It is unlikey but worth checking...

HTH :)

John

Shouldnt be any contam probs as I never touch my tank, food etc till Ive washed my hands and thoroughly rinsed off any soap residue. Snowman, cleaned filter for 1st time last week, and used siphoned off water to do so, just rinsed, didnt scrub etc. I thought I was doing ok, but now not sure what to do. Not that close to the LFS so have ordered test kits for future use. Am pleased about the no to the ammolock as I dont really like it. Need to destock and fast. Have the 4footer arriving on sat but am not ready to set it up as per ants suggestion (freshwater) and that won't solve anything anyway. Have glass coverlids and lighthood. The water pH here is about 7.6 but I use Proper pH7 to adjust it to neutral. Today is turning into a give up all together day.