Are diseases a definite!

Caper

Just browing through here...seeing some scarey stuff!

From what I've been reading on the net...I know that all fish do not have a long life span :( ...but...is it a definite that they all get sick at one time or another????

I don't think its a definite. I think not getting diseases is partly a matter of good water management etc. and partly a matter of luck. Even those with the best kept tanks can sometimes have an outbreak of something.

Experienced fishkeepers (which I am not yet) recommend having a quarantine tank to reduce the risk of introducing infection with new fish and plants

Cheers

Jude

Thanks jude!

When I went outside to have a cig after the passing of my neon :( I was wondering about a quarantine/hospital tank...are they the same thing?

How should one be set up? Small tank do?

A tank can be either a hospital or a quarantine tank I guess - but not at the same time.

I don't know if there is any specific way to set them up. I have a small tank which I intend to use and I will just add some gravel, a heater and cycle it. I would probably keep a couple of fish in it to keep it cycled.

I think the preference for a hospital tank is that it has no gravel so that it can be kept very clean but there will be others here that know more than me about it

Cheers

Jude

The idea behind a bare bottom hospital/quarantine tank is so there is no where for parasites or white spot or things like that to hide, then when you vacuum/water change it sucks every thing off the bottom.

I need a new one as my last one has now got 7 pallies in it.

Wonder how long the new one will last before getting fish in it LOL

How big Snowman?

What is the smallest you can go with for a hospital/quarantine tank?

Since you have to have fish in a tank to keep it cycling...am I right...you would always keep a couple in it...or not...since it would be used for when you get new fish or put a sick fish in...am I making sense?????

So, Jude it sounds like you are right...tank, heater, no gravel...mmm...would still need a filter right?

AND neither of you mentioned...but guessing...water...just kidding :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the help as always :bow::bow::bow:

Your hospital/quarantine tank must be large enough to house your biggest fish if it gets sick and needs isolating or any group of fish you buy on your shopping spree. This tank does not need to be set up all the time and a filter can be kept in the main tank as a spare until needed then whipped out and into the smaller tank when required. Of course, it is important it be thoroughly cleaned before it is put back into the main tank again!