How not to treat oscars

treehugga

Just sent him a message

"Hi, i'm not surprised the oscar has damage, for 4 oscars i wouldnt use anything less than a 5-6 ft tank, at least 600 litres, you need to sell off these fish seperately as that tank will hardly take 1 adult oscar, 4 oscars in there is just cruel! "

Some poor person with no experience will buy this

(although if he paid $330 for it new hes dreaming if he thinks he will get $250, tank is way under filtered for 4 oscars)

and then wonder why the fish are dying or killing each other.

Feel like complaining to Trade Me.

I agree snowman, this guy cares very little about the fish.

I cant believe people are bidding.

His answer to my question was that he was "trying to control their size to fit in the current tank" !!!!!! :evil:

A 1 yr old oscar at 20cm is stunted. poor fish. :cry:

This guy should try living in a closet for a year and see how he likes it.

He shouldnt even be allowed to keep guppies.

It's tempting to buy them even to give to Hollywood to ensure they actually survive, i agree with the closet thing but make sure there is only a tiny hole to breathe as i would hate to see the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels in such a small tank with a tiny filter, 4 oscars and a large pleco (grits teeth and wants to rip fools head off) :evil:

yup, theres no way he could do enough work to keep the water parameters in check there are not enough hours in the day!

The sad fact is every 2nd visit I make to hollywood I see the results of some idiot like this trying to keep fish without doing the slightest bit of research on their needs.

I bet they get sick of seeing all these poor fish come through the door!

These fish need rescuing, anyone who pays $250 needs their head read.

I wonder what he would keep a betta in, a shotglass?

Its a catch 22, if some newbie bought that could you imagine a

more depressing introduction to the hobbie?

I see that as absolutely no different to keeping to many cows in a paddock, to many dogs in a kennel, to many birds in an aviary ( you get the picture.

Someone has probably sold him that setup and they should be shot too.

But in this age of information there is no excuse for not taking responsibility for learning about a pets needs.

How hard is it to go to google and type in "oscars" :roll:

Someone was so upset about it that the spca has been informed along with trademe and it is being investigated, this person has promised to let me know what happens.

Im not a militant fishkeeper, but that pushed the envelope to far for me and a few others. Thats absolutely the worst situation involving oscars that I have ever seen. :evil:

There I think ive finaly got that of my chest.

Update

The man was visited by an SPCA inspector, One oscar has been placed in another tank and arrangements are being made for housing the others.

A follow up visit will occur on monday.

Apparently he "didnt know how big they got".

So what was the Size control thing about then?

I still have soooo much to learn...but even I know that was so WRONG! Those poor fish :( I did a quite a bit of reading on the net and still do...but finding you folks was a God send.

I remember being in the pet store one day shortly after I got my first 2 fish...this lady was buying 2 or 3 fish...can't remember what kind now...anyway, I asked her how long she had fish (month)...tank same as mine 10 gallon...what she had in it......any kind at all plus a couple that I had read on the net and were an aggressive fish!

Even then I knew you just couldn't go pick fish randomly and put in the tank. Now you folks know how little I know...but it was more than obvious that this woman thought all you needed was water and just add fish!