H EEEEEELLL PPPPP!

nemo's mom

:cry: Ok, I got three wee goldfish about a week ago. No problems all week. Got another tank today (second hand) which I rinsed well with tonic salt and then rinsed thouroughly with water. All gravel etc was washed with water. Added water conditioner and then waited until water was at room temperature and put fish in (no, I did not let them rest in a bag in it first and now I feel bad!). I also put some fish antiseptic into the tank (I put 10 drops in and my tank is only a smaller one at 10 litres) as I noticed that the fish looked to be a little slimy with white slime. They were fine all today and eating normally. Then tonight they started dying one by one until now even wee nemo has just died. What did I do wrong?? The only thing different was that I used a bubble machine instead of there usual oxygen weed. I am a complete novice (does it show :oops: ) and am wanting to get some more fish as they are (or rather they were) my five year old sons. What can I do to ensure that this will not happen again?

Hi NM,

Welcome to the NZ Fishroom.. :)

Add your location to your profile and introduce yourself in the Welcome section. :)

Your fish... ?

Three Goldies... Ten Litres.. not really a good mix.

Goldies are great starter fish, and wonderful for getting the kids interested in the hobby.

Hard to say from your post what caused their demise, but my guess is it could possibly have been caused by overfeeding which has caused your tank water to become harmful very quickly.

With only ten litres of water you would need to be doing water changes just about every other day to keep the water in condition.

Goldies are messy eaters, and produce several times more waste than most other fish (size for size).. so they need much more cleaning out than most tanks.. and this is escalated because of the small area you have.

If you replace the fish, then just get a couple of the smaller ones and do regular partial water changes several times a week.

There are means of removing some of the wastes that the fish produce, like special filters and such, and we will be happy to explain all this or direct you to the info.

All the best,

I have posted a link to a pic of my tank. My fishes were REALLY little, which is why I thought that three would be ok. Am I over loading the tank? They lived fine in a smalled tank which was one of those round ones with the coloured rings on the top and bottom. What do you think?http://202.21.128.20/photoserver/10/9986210_full.jpg

Hi again,

Tank looks ok, and your feeding is ok too, so hopefully we will get some other suggestions.

Only other thing is this white slime you mention, which might have been the start of fungus.. possibly through the fish flicking on the gravel or something.

Did you notice them doing this.. or any other symptoms you can give us..?

They "may" have also been stressed out through the move.. it's hard to say.

Bill.

Ok, two of my fishes died (marlin and dory) and I managed to save nemo by pulling him out and putting him in his own tank with some tonic salts. I recleaned the tank and then today got some new healthy fishes and put them in and also released nemo as he was fighting fit again. Now, four hours later they are doing it again! HELP! I cannot think WHAT is wrong with my setup!!!

Have put them in a smaller tank with some tonic salt and within half an hour they are fine! What the heck??! The tank I have is second hand as is all but one of the ornaments. They previous owner kept fish with no probs and the fishes were all alive when she released them into an outside pond. The only new thing I have is a scuba diver which you attach an air hose to and it bubbles out its tanks. Would this be the problem?? Other than that I have no idea?

I just find it hard to believe that this would be the problem. Is there such a thing as too much oxygen?? I know that if there wasnt enough the fish would float at the surface gasping for air. My fish arent doing that. They are floating to the surface on there sides and then swimming to the bottom. They do this over and over until they eventually die.

From Nemo's mum..

and then today got some new healthy fishes and put them in and also released nemo as he was fighting fit again.

This (IMO) is a big mistake.

You have a problem that needs isolating "before" you start to add new fish, so now you are getting a repaeat of what happened in the first instance.

You say:

They are floating to the surface on there sides and then swimming to the bottom. They do this over and over until they eventually die.

If this is happening with the NEW fish.. then your water is VERY toxic, or they are being poisoned in some way, as seemingly healthy fish just don't keel over and die for no reason.

To find the problem.. take the fish out of the tank and put them somewhere.

Empty the tank COMPLETELY and wash out thoroughly in a very mild bleach solution... then rinse out thoroughly and refill with fresh water.

DON'T add ANYTHING... no salts.. no gravel or ornaments.

Leave it to stand for a few hours to disapate any chlorine.

Put the fish back and leave for a day or so... feed sparingly.

If you get no losses after a week.. then the prob is in the things you are adding.. so they "may" look pretty.. but dump them.

Bill.

What's up Alan... can't sleep.. :)

Just looking at your pic here NM..

What is the tank sat on...?

It's not a radiator or gas heater is it..?

What temperature does the tank get to... have you any idea...?

Certainly a bit mystifying.

Bill.

fish often have a white slime on them when they are being burnt by something. and that would fit with the fact they are fine when you move them into another tank.

Do as suggested and clean the tank really well and try again.

good luck

plecs