cloudy tank - algael(sp) bloom?

ormali

Hi everyone.

My 4' tank was doing fine then I put a couple of extra plants in and - whompah! - the water turned into the deep dark lagoon. We thought this was due to insufficient filtration so we went out and brought a eheim ecco cannester filter. We left the old filter running as well as the new one and thought this would clean out the yicky water.

No such luck. The water is now moving much better but the water is still cloudy and slightly green. It cleared a little temporarily then went as icky as before.

Next step was to try testing the water - everything is where it should be apart from a slightly high ammonia at 0.25. (nitrate = 5, nitrite = 0, ph 7.4).

We tried an algae rid solution by masterpet this morning and still no change.

The fish seem happy - we just cant see them very well. We have had a few new fish over the last few days but the tank has been up and running for a month now with regular water changes.

Please help - I want to SEE my fishes again! They prolly dont want to see me and are quite happy but that's just tough :P Who pays the power bills round here? Hehe. :roll:

It not abnormal for this to happen in a new tank, as Brian says check that there are no dead fish (just after a water change is a good time to look because the water will be less cloudy) otherwise the best thing to do is just wait, it will suddenly start to disappear, it might only take a week but will sometimes take a while.

Do the water changes, you might also want to look reducing your feeding and don't add any more fish.

Algae rid products wont really help because you not removing the cause of the algae so it might help clear the water for a day but in the end you will just be wasting your money.

Good move getting a second filter, do leave them both running, but keep an eye on them, if the algae is really thick it will block up the filter wool and/or sponge, when you clean them just clean one filter then wait a week or so beofre cleaning the other. When you do clean them just give then a VERY light rinse in fish tank water you only want to remove the algae thats blocking the water flow and not hurt the good bacteria that is growing.

I've found filter wool over the filter intake works great too. Just rubber band it around the intake and give it a rinse every day or two. Cleaned a massive green algae bloom for me anyway that I couldn't get rid of even doing 75% water changes every other day.