Iwaki 115v Pumps

Aquatopia

Guys (n gals) - whats the score about getting a 115v rated (US) pump (i know to stick with the Japanese motors) and using a step down transformer? I have seen these on the US ebay for heaps less than the retail. Often good reasons for sale too.

Your thoughts? PIES? CHIMERA RnB et al ?

Cheers

Chimera

Yeh I know what you are saying, and if it was $100 difference, then sweet, but i have found some Iwakis that are $35 US.

Incidentally, I have seen Sequence ReeFLOW Dart pumps on MArineDepot.com - they seem higher rated than the iwakis at a lower consumption for less money. I have read good reviews too. Anyone running them?

copy of the email (mind you, this was back on 23 November 2004):

Hi James,

I contacted both Aqua Medic and Danner, and both do not carry their products in the 220v version. The only two manufactures that currently make their pumps in the 220v version would be Iwaki and Dolphin.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Sincerely,

Josh Seeger

Marine Depot Customer Service

www.marinedepot.com

(714)385-0080

American terminology

you will need to explain the implications of that to me jetski...

Chim --- That Sequence is practically twice the gph of the top iwaki (and the iwaki figure is at zero head whilst the sequence is at 4' head). And thats $150US less money.

:o Im getting very confused :o

Chim --- That Sequence is practically twice the gph of the top iwaki (and the iwaki figure is at zero head whilst the sequence is at 4' head). And thats $150US less money

if it's for a closed loop, then work out what flow rate you want and get the most suited pump at 0' head. also look at the size of the inlet and outlet's on the pump - important to match your design. most are either 3/4", 1" or 1.5". restrict the inlet and outlets as little as possible (in other words, if it's a 1" outlet, match the plumbing to it. this will greatly dictate cost too as plumbing is expensive) if it's for a return, work out what flow rate you need at X head height. match the pump to that. iwaki RLT's are awesome for high head.

Reefonline.com.au are also expensive. ask her for a better price.

dolphin ampmaster 'world' version. great for closed loop

Don't forget that with some of these pumps (not sure about the sequence) but certainly for the dolphins, they claim that if you use plumbing smaller than 40mm than the pumps performance is reduced by 60%. They are no good with any pressure. 40mm is a big pipe for a closed loop.

About that 110v, never used it so I don't know. Sounds like a hastle to me, but not experance myself.

Pie

some pumps can actually be wired at the attachment panel for either voltage... but not many...

If buying new I WOULD NOT buy 115... but if you pick up a stack of trademe 115 ones like me for $20 each... buy a transformer, pumps pull quite small loads, easy for transformer to cope.

Peter