Who here uses driftwood with Africans?

herefishiefishie

Not mad at all HFF.

As the fish are hard on plants, the use of rocks and logs is the way to get the tank that "YES" look.

The easy answer is to lookat a stone wall set-up and one with both.

I'd choose the second.

Try tying on some Java Fern as well as your anubias HFF.

Alan 104

i personally don't use it on my african tanks because it makes the pH go down?? BUT if you were prepared to put in the required chemicals, or you had crushed coral/aragonite as a gravel it would be alright. btw there are some tough plants out there that can withstand an african tank (i can't name any :oops: ) but i also dont use them because i am always catching fish and moving them, stripping them etc.

unexpected medical bills to pay first
Oh no :(

I have a couple of java ferns in a couple of tanks too. I like the look of Anubias. There is a supplier here who sells driftwood creations with Anubias already attached. Wood is pretty well leached too, so no "tea look" 8)

Also it takes a fair bit of wood to soften the water. Plus where I am the water is a little on the soft side :roll: so some bufers are already used.

Before I bought some Ps. sp . acei I thought I'd do a bit of reading.

This comes from "Enjoying Cichlids" Ad Konings (Editor) :hail:

They are found in sandy habitat near trunks or branches. Algae & phytoplankton are part of there food source, seems they mainly feed from the algae on the bark of tree stumps & branches that have washed into the lake.

This also dispells the other myth that some have that there is no wood in the african rift lakes.

Frenchy :D