Amazon effect with erect moss "pictures"

Plantman

Hi All

i just want to share that you can hold any moss onto the driftwood and see nature takes it course.

ErectMoss02.jpg

you can see the nylon string going around the DW. as it grow more, no one can see the line.

DSC00436.jpg

Give it a desirable position and maintain that position or not shift it too much. you can use a suction cup or string to hold it in position.

DSC00445.jpg

after tying the line, the moss soften and melt to the surface of the DW. do not be fool, it is not dying but growing to take a new shape.

ErectMoss.jpg

when it is grown, it will cover the fishing line.

ErectMoss01.jpg

i enjoy watch the plant grow.

ErectMoss05.jpg

it looks like miniture pine on top of the mountain

it took about 2-3 months and it grow too dense. so i cut away the nylon string. pull out the string and throw the string away. after that much growth in the moss, i notice around 1% of the moss stick to the surface of the DW.

if i wanted to, i can retie the moss onto the DW again as it does through another cycle.

Share your experience and let me know what you think.

Cheers

• 5 months later...

Hi Plantman,

Loving the your pics of moss growing on DW. Im in the initial stages of trying that too.your pics inspired me :o Only tied the moss onto DW in the weekend, so its got a long way to go yet,but, its gonna look v.cool and provide some good cover for my fish.Cant wait. I will post you a pic (once i figure out how,shouldnt be too hard),of the log now,and then in a few months. Ive ensured that the plants have all their neccessities met for them to thrive.........

As far as I know you cant get any freshwater shrimp(eg Amano shrimp) in NZ for tropical freshwater.Im pretty sure you can find them in our local streams but havnt seen any yet. I could imagine they would enjoy hanging out amongst the moss

Oops, I keep forgetting almost any lifeform not native is forbidden :(

i have managed to catch some fresh water shrimps before. i was selling them for 50 cents each and was told later by trademe that it is illegal to sell. i have stop that ever since.

i have given the shrimps away to those who is interested to buy my plants and quarium equipments. now i have very little left.

i will let you guys know when i got more fresh water shrimps and package it with my stuff for sale.

Cheers

Im in the same situation Hummingbird,what wicked plants though eh!!They look A+ in a nice planted tank.Apparently they are grown from seed too.if only a LFS could sell em :hail:

Nice work Plantman,sounds good. How did yours go with fish,or rather what spp didnt eat them?Id imagine they would make a tasty treat,just like a cray to a snapper?

Koura would be cool but unfortunately they are tapu

ive had fresh water crays.. i got them from a lake up north :oops: :oops:

lol they were fun to have.. i gave them to my LPS and they put them in their display tank that had a few oscars and arowanas in it :evil:

lets just say they didnt need to feed the fish for a while... :cry:

they eat dead leaves and i think i saw one eating some blood worms...

that java moss looks awsome!!, im trying it at the mo, but the DW im using was eroded so that now it looks like a pipe (awsome for breeding!)

anyway its half horizontally buried... i think it myt take a while longer, but i hope it turns out looking somewhat like yours plant man!!! :hail:

• 3 weeks later...

hey there is a eustry in anpier abundant in brackish water shrimp. Not the freshwater kuruo. You are aloowed to take these and they live in fresh water fine (have put some in my plant only tank) they eat all the algae (both single cell and hair) only downside is they will only breed in salt water. you can get them to in captivity but as you scoop out up to 20 a time with net at the local eustry it wasn't worht it in the end.

if anyone wants any i might be able to go scoop some out and post them if you like. fish will eat these really fast.