Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Floating Plants

Featured Replies

Hi Folks...

I'm looking, after some suggestions on suitable floating plants to put into my 1200mm (community based)Tropical tank.

Have checked around the shops here in Christchurch, but haven't had any real luck.

All suggestion greatfully recieved. :bow:

(I don't mind paying to have them sent to me from out of town)

Water sprite - Ceratopteris thalictroides

Indian fern - Ceratopteris pteroides

Water wisteria - Hygrophila difformis

Riccia - Riccia fluitans

Duckweed - Lemna minor

Rubra - Azollia filiculoides

Starwort - Callitriche stagnalis

water clover - Nardoo - Marsilea mutica

Indian Fern is very easy to grow and has nice long dangly roots, you can grow it floating or planted in the substrate. The last plant I brought up here was $4. Stay well away from Duckweed.

You can look it up at www.tropica.com under Ceratopteris thalictroides

Cheers,

Matt

Don't go for Indian fern unless you want the entire top of the tank covered in it. I got a bunch of plants that obviously had a germ or something of indian fern in it and a couple of weeks later boom, the top was covered. I'd remove as much as I could and it would just bounce back. The tank was well fertilized so maybe that's why it found conditions so favourable or maybe it's just a pest generally. I've hopefully finally removed it from the tank now though.

Indian fern - Ceratopteris pteroides

This is GREAT :bow: I used to have a few bunches of this floating around my last 4' tank, and the root structure was great!! Good thing I didn't have guppies, or I'd have been over run within months!!! :lol:

Just my view on indian fern.

It is VERY easy to propogate - just add water :lol:

Bought a small plant from LFS about 2 months ago - started annoying me 1 month ago, still finding bits of it poping up. If its what you want / need thats great, but if your a bit patient then maybe go with something else..

Do not - repeat: NOT - get duckweed, unless you want the light to only go as far as the water level!

I had ONE piece (smaller than a 5c coin) in my tank, it came with a piece of driftwood I'd bought, and 3 weeks later, I was scooping HANDFULS out of the tank!!

And, of course, every time I remove it all, I find about a week later that I obviously didn't as there's more in there still... :lol:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.