FO (fish only) setup

chimera

This thread for info on a Fish Only setup.

How about we say, for arguments sake :D, that the tank size is 3 to 4 foot with a couple of fish and (even if it is a little) bit of LR (live rock) for biological and aethetic reasons? List the items that you think are required and approximate cost range (depending on budget/cheap through to expensive) and pro's/con's of each item.

Tank + Stand $600 +

Sump (3foot) $100

Skimmer $600 +

Plumbing $100 +

Return pump $150

Rock 20kg $200

Lighting (Flouro) $200

Magnets / Nets $50

Refractometer $120

Heaters $60

Test kits (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH) $120

Gravel $50

Salt $100

Livestock $600 +

Total $3050

Im not sure on prices, But Clowns are something like $60ea, Ive seen Blue tangs for sale at $170.

Sump would be smart for a FO setup

Skimmer

You dont need heavy lighting for FO or FOWLR setups?

So if thats correct then T5's x2

Return pumps etc

As said not sure on Prices, I was asking the same stuff.

Shae

Tank + Stand $600 +

Sump (3foot) $100

Skimmer $600 +

Plumbing $100 +

Return pump $150

Rock 20kg $200

Lighting (Flouro) $200

Magnets / Nets $50

Refractometer $120

Heaters $60

Test kits (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH) $120

Gravel $50

Salt $100

Livestock $600 +

Total $3050

Things must be more expensive in Christchurch.

4 foot tank can be made for $120 here, Steel stand $100-200 depending on who makes and who you buy the steel off.

Thats a freakn expensive Skimmer? what brand?

Why so much Rock? IF its a FO tank?

Man, I can get Twin Flouro lighting for $109.95

Nets and magnets are expensive there! Animates have magnets for $12 at the mo. Nets $3-$10ea Depending on size

200 watt heaters are $20 from Hutt Pet (or were) So two of those would do the trick.

Salt is free from the Sea.

Most ppl already have some form of Test Kits.

I thought there was some sought of Cycle period that you should wait until thats finished and everthying has stabilised before you add fish, Livestock prices shouldnt be added as it depends on the Aqauriest.

Shae

But if you DIY'd, Used what you already had OR bought second hand you could save alot of money aswell.

Just for the sake of this Discussion, I know its going to get boo'd on but i dont care.

For example.

Tank-$0 ex-Freshwater

Stand-$0 ex-Freshwater

Sump tank-$0 ex-Freshwater

Lighting- 2xFlouro $109.95 OR $60-$90 off trademe

Return Pump- $150 Possibly Cheaper off Trademe

Heating-2x200watt Heaters $40

Skimmer- Like i said i dont have a clue

Nets- Lets Say $20 all up

Magnets- Why would you need them? Cleaning the glass manualy is much more affective anyway.

Saltwater/Freshwater-Both free Down here

Plumbing-$100

Refractometer-$120 I dont know what this is but is it nessecary?

Test kits (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH) $120- Possibly cheaper if you already Own.

Gravel-$50 Evendentally

Somewhere in the Visinity of $589.95

Anything i missed out?

My 2 cents

Shae

4 foot tank can be made for $120 here, Steel stand $100-200 depending on who makes and who you buy the steel off.

Glass prices have more than doubled recently

Thats a freakn expensive Skimmer? what brand?

One that actually works efficiently. Deltec. which are available in NZ. There are other good brands but you can't buy them here.

Why so much Rock? IF its a FO tank?
That's not a lot of rock. Fish like clean water too. Rock is an important part to filtration.

Man, I can get Twin Flouro lighting for $109.95
bulbs?

Nets and magnets are expensive there! Animates have magnets for $12 at the mo. Nets $3-$10ea Depending on size

You'll want a quality magnet for removing calcareous algae. A $12 magnet won't move this stuff.

200 watt heaters are $20 from Hutt Pet (or were) So two of those would do the trick.

Salt is free from the Sea.
if you have access to it. Contamination is also free, but thats a different topic. :-)

Most ppl already have some form of Test Kits.
Not appropriate for saltwater. Salifert, JBL and Seachem are the only brands to consider.

I thought there was some sought of Cycle period that you should wait until thats finished and everthying has stabilised before you add fish, Livestock prices shouldnt be added as it depends on the Aqauriest.

Yip tank does have to cycle. But you'll still be spending money on fish so it MUST be budgeted for. Sure people choose what fish they add, but they all cost money, so something has to be included to account for this.

As ive said i dont think LiveStock should be added into the $$ as it varies for Aqauriests and Prices etc vary.

I don't agree. Livestock is part of the cost of setting up a tank. Peoples stock list will be different, but you could expect to spend at least $600.

Layton

can we get a range of items here? i cant be bothered, but if someone can, take laytons list and put an adequate range of prices then a total from x to y. also put a 'mandatory' or 'optional' or 'optional but recommended' next to each and basic reason why. skimmer could be 'optional but recommended' in a FO.

Why would you exclude the skimmer. It is a requirement for a tank. It's like setting up a tank without water, it just doesn't work.

You do not need a skimmer with all types of fish only tanks. only the ones with more sensitive fish and/or a high load.

Do more water changes with sea water. Its not that far for most people we don't live in the middle of the US.

This is whay I didn't want to include stock. Their is to much variation.

I don't no how a conclusion can come from this post it seems to cover to many options.

Aaron.

Tank + Stand $350

Sump (3foot) $90

Plumbing $50

Return pump $150

Rock 20kg $200

Lighting Single Fluro + Power Glo Tube $140.00

Large Floating magnet $19.95

Plastic Eftpos Card Free (depending on bank. Best tool ever for removing hard stuff)

Nets $9.90 (thats 2x6" nets)

Hydrometer/Thermometer $14.00

300W Heater $39.95 or less

Test kits (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH) $80 Aquarium Pharmacueticals Saltwater Master Test Kit. Probably not considered top of the line but more than good enough.

Gravel $50

NSW (which most reefies seem to use)

Without Skimmer, around $1200.00