LIVE ROCK QUANTITY

Aquatopia

Hi again - another question.

The tank i am planning will be 1000 L x 500 H x 600 D

Thats what, 66 gals (UK) or 300litres - without displacement and full to the brim.

i will have a sump too though.

Just wondered what amount of live rock you would recommend.

I want to have a sloping rock-cliff on the left wall (about 2/3 of the wall) and running along along the back wall to about half way, with a peninsular jutting out from the corner towards the middle of the tank. This will create caves etc and swim-thru's. Then i want to have a rock pile (the aussies call this a bongie i believe) on the right with different sizes stacked up (by drilling holes in the rock and slotting it over piping.

So really Im not looking to put too much in the tank.

Can i make up the remainder by putting rock into the sump in its own chamber? And would i be ok just using dead rock for this rather than cured (ex-live) rock? After all its just being used as a filter medium down in this part of the tank and looks wont be so important?

What total kgs would you recommend?

Cheers

I have about 300 not including sump and I only have around 20Kilos total. Need more though. IMO, I'd go more with putting the nicely shaped and sized pieces in the main tank and the bad ones in the sump. After awhile you won't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Hi guys

Thanks for all these replies. Some new thoughts are coming through and my initial thoughts are also being confirmed.

Ultimately what i am probably going to do is have a reasonable but not too large amount of decent live rock in the tank. on the left side i want to create a sloping reef cliff with a protruding peninsular which has a few aarches in it leading to caves behind. In order to achieve this i will use a combination of reefracking and saddling rocks to get the desired effect. On the right side of the tank separate from the rock cliff will be a "bongie" - ie rock stack - which will be secured using 15mm pipe with holes drilled in the rock and the rock "slid" over the pipework.

I will then keep a large amount of marine rock as a filter medium within the sump. I intend to put in a closed loop to create my water flow within the tank. Ultimately this is a relatively cost effective way of doing things and it keeps unsightly powerheads out of the aquarium. Less risk to fish and wandering inverts. Less heat produced in the tank. Good route to take all round.

Cheers for the postings - still keen to hear from MORE of you guys n gals out there. Seems to be just a handful using the forum at the moment. But there are heaps more members. Are we "salties" just a small little group in reality? Lol.

Oh, and i hope your weather is better than ours here in Chch - its been vile today ! :evil:

FYI most 'live' rock in NZ starts out as dead rock anyway, its not possible (or all that practical really, given fright costs) to import 'proper' live rock into NZ because of MAF.

Dead rock is put into tanks with 'live' rock and left for a few months to cure. There is no problem with you mixing them in your tank to save some $ but be warned it will increase the cycle time significantly.

FYI most 'live' rock in NZ starts out as dead rock anyway, its not possible (or all that practical really, given fright costs) to import 'proper' live rock into NZ because of MAF.

Dead rock is put into tanks with 'live' rock and left for a few months to cure. There is no problem with you mixing them in your tank to save some $ but be warned it will increase the cycle time significantly.

Hi - are you saying the rock that comes in is not "live rock" in the first place? I thought it was just the case that it comes in like it is shipped to any other country, but then it has to be washed off and then left to dry for 3 weeks. Does it actually arrive dry in the country then?

I have been looking at the price of live rock in the UK, and it IS EXPENSIVE. Here for "rock" you pay what $10-12/kg (And some places charge more for "cured rock" - fair enough). In the UK, to buy "live rock" (ie cured and with lots of coralline growth and plenty of inhabitants) it is the equivalent of (hang on while i do the math) $25/kg. So, double.

It seems its just a bit more of a waiting game here for the rock to get to a nice stage so ultimately its not a bad thing.

Out of interest, is Coralline algae porous? IE, once it has encrusted a piece of rock, does that restrict that piece of rock's ability to perform dentitrification ?? Just a thought - probably totally wrong.

Cheers

Sorry I'm not sure, it doesn't make sense to me to ship heavy wet rock, to then have to dry it out making it half the weight. Also if it did come in properly live I think we would see alot more hitch hikers magically appear in peoples tanks!

I have been looking at the price of live rock in the UK, and it IS EXPENSIVE. Here for "rock" you pay what $10-12/kg (And some places charge more for "cured rock" - fair enough). In the UK, to buy "live rock" (ie cured and with lots of coralline growth and plenty of inhabitants) it is the equivalent of (hang on while i do the math) $25/kg. So, double

You live and earn NZL dollars or you live and earn UK pounds. You cant convert to NZL dollars and you cant convert to UK pounds. If we pay NZL$1.50 here for a coke, does that mean it should be 60 pence in England? I dont think so.

You pay $10/kg here for live (cured) rock - that's the norm - although it's 2nd hand :lol: Just wait for others to break down their tanks and buy it that way. Otherwise, pay the same price from LFS for dead rock.

Chimera

LOL - its funny that you should have used a coke analogy - because you are dead right - it IS 60p in England for the same size bottle you buy here for $1.50 ! :lol:

As far as my comment regarding the cost of live rock here as opposed to the UK, what i was TRYING to say was that you pay more for for LR in the UK compared to here, but that it follows that you would because it is not the same thing. But lets not get drawn into an economics debate, thats not the purpose of my thread. All i am trying to do at the end of the day is work out the best way so sort out rock for my tank dude. :lol: