Fighters Gill Sticking Out

Aracnabat

I have a fighter in a 35 litre that has a gill permanently stuck out.  It doesn't seem to be red or inflamed and he is acting normal.

I've tested the water and ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all 0 (I tested the nitrates 3 times plus tested my other tank to make sure the test kit wasn't 'faulty').  The tank is filtered and planted.

I first spotted it after he was doing his normal evening routine of flaring at nothing, however it may have been like that earlier.

I've tried taking a photo but he gets too hyperactive when anyone is near the tank so all I get are mistimed blurs.  It just looks like he is flaring his gills on one side of his head.

Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be and any treatments that may help?

Cheers 

Unfortunately it could be a variety of reasons - injury, parasites, tumours, cysts, viruses etc could all cause issues. Are you able to see whether the gills are bright red or whether they're looking pale, and whether there's anything rough/blotchy in there?

I've had a few fighters with lifted gills however I've had a virus going through all of my fighters which mostly attacked the face and gills - so the lifted plate was due to lumps growing around the gills. But because fighters are so prone to an array of issues, it could be one of many things, unfortunately.

Unfortunately it could be a variety of reasons - injury, parasites, tumours, cysts, viruses etc could all cause issues. Are you able to see whether the gills are bright red or whether they're looking pale, and whether there's anything rough/blotchy in there?

I've had a few fighters with lifted gills however I've had a virus going through all of my fighters which mostly attacked the face and gills - so the lifted plate was due to lumps growing around the gills. But because fighters are so prone to an array of issues, it could be one of many things, unfortunately.

I was able to have a good look while he was flaring away last night and everything looked normal.  No lumps, bumps or odd colouring.  Other than a gill sticking out he is acting like his usual self.

I have spotted him rub against the driftwood and rocks once or twice since getting him in August but I haven't seen anything recently.

• 4 weeks later...

could be from overuse, does he flare alot, i have one special fighter whos gill stays out on one side if he is flaring too often

He flares fairly regularly so it could be that.  I rescaped his tank this weekend and I haven't seen him flare as much so hopefully that will help.

Its still sticking out a bit but not as bad as it was.  I treated the tank for parasites just in case but it didn't seem to help.  It doesn't seem to be life threating so I'll just leave him be and keep an eye on it.