Who makes the best aquariums?

Sandy

Probably a dumb question cause really Im guessing it comes down to personal taste but is one brand better than another.  I quite like the aqua ones but have seen a fluval accent 95 for sale on Trade Me but is one better than the other?  Is it the filter systems that would make one a better choice or is it more how you set it up?

had a couple of aquaones, 620/980 over the last 15 years, (still have them), only ever had to replace the odd bulb, found the 620 was alot every to maintain compared to the 980, but the 980, was easy to upgrade the filter system....

I was looking at some Juwel Tanks, before upgrading to my new tank, you can get on TM  for a good price, are a bit pricey at the pet stores.... never looked at the fluval (other than there filters that I love)

-Chris

A good question, and one I waited for a day before replying to see what else was said  :)

It depends by aquarium whether you mean a standard rectangular tank, an all in one.  I think it's an impossible question to answer but generally I would say that the more pricey all in one tanks are probably better designed ie bevelled edges, black silicon.  You are right, it is a matter of taste.  Tank cabinets, filtration designs and lighting are what I look at when looking at the cost of a tank as cabinets can be quite different in their quality.  

There are a couple (or more) quality tank builders in NZ who make tanks to specifications and who sell privately.

Thanks peoples,

I do like the all in ones, more for looks than anything else.  I had a large 270l tank which ive just sold as it was just too big for me to handle on my own.  Im using my spare ecostyle 47 with a few neons and 3 otos but really want to get them a bigger tank.  Looking at around 100ltrs which i think is more manageable for me.  Im not overly convinced that the aqua one tanks trickle filters are all that good but I have no idea and I guess they wouldnt be putting them into their tanks if they werent any good.  Its working well enough on my ecostyle and im managing to keep all the levels good but still want to go up in size.  The fluval is 95ltrs but again, i have no idea about their filter systems so dont know what their quality is like.

Ive just seen a new Soho, anybody know anything about these, they are from India by the looks of things.  I guess, at the end of the day if the filters are useless I can just set up the tank with something decent.

Havent seen the Soho - if you do get one my advice is to make sure that the seller has the knowledge on the tank and can provide backup service and spare parts :)  I like the Ecostyles too.  I am about to sell my Aqua One 980 simply because I have two marine tanks on the go. It was my first venture into all in ones and I wondered about the trickle filter but by being sensible about stocking levels and maintenance it has been a really really good tank.  

In general fluvals do have a good reputation.  I have used their cannister filters but that is all.

Oops, got the name wrong, its a Sobo.  Here are the specs they have on the TradeMe ad - do these look ok?  Ive just asked them if there are spare parts available so will see what they say:

Brand: Sobo. (The Top Quality) 
Model: T-80F Patent Rights Reserved ISO 9001: 2008 

Features 
* Novel and attractive shape. 
* Waterproof, with inner silent water pump and upper filter, improving water quality, good for helpful germs to grow, to produce a serial biological chain. 
* It will provide your aquatic pets and plants with a natural and healthy environment, beautify your family home with ease. 
* Come with Filter & Light 
* These classic design aquariums are an instant attraction for any venue 
*Our stunning curved front glass ensures unrivalled views of your underwater world. 
*Unique waterproof light tubes and holder for maximum illumination especially suitable for aquatic plants and all fish. 

Specification: 
Volume: 135 Litres 
Voltage: 220-240V 
Attractive aluminum cover which will not overheat the lighting tubes. 
Lighting: Energy Saving Lamp 20W x 2 (Blue & White) 
Top Filter System: 25W bio filtration system for unrivalled water quality. 
F. Max: 1500L/H 
BODY SIZE: 800*380*580MM; 30kg 
CABINET SIZE: 800*380*660MM; 23.5kg 

***Come with the filter light***