Pink tipped long tentacle white anemone

raeh1

I have just brought one tonight, first time I have seen one in the shops.

What are its preferences, current, food, light.

By the way now need a metal halide setup pronto.

PM me if you have a metal halide unit sitting around you want $$$$$ for.

Hopefully my clowns "Baggers & Mash" will like it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malu Anemone.

They can also have purple or blue tips.

No need to treat them any differantly than others

Strong light is a must, you can feed them peices of muscle, but you don't reallyneed to. do not put it into it's mouth put it in the tentacle's

You should of got them to hold it for you until you got a metal halide.

Have you had Anemonie's before.

Aaron.

It's not likely the store had strong lighting, so as far as the individual anemone is concerned there's not much of a difference over it being in his tank or the fish store's tank.

I've had mine for 2 months or so, it had tentacles about half an inch long, almost spherical when I got it. Been feeding it a piece of shrimp every other day and its tentacles are looking much better, but it's still pale yellow in sunlight to white under the tank lights.

Unfortunately, all that feeding added to my skimmer deciding to stop skimming seems to have made my nitrates jump.:(

This morning when I got up its tenticles were fully inflated and looked nice.

I turned the lights on and within 5 minutes it had almost completely deflated and tucked itself away between the rocks.

What could be causing this, it does not look happy at all...

It is likely to be a light issue.

I'm not sure how much you know so forgive me for explaining to much.

When a Zooxanthellae cells which are algae that live in the Anemone are exposed to light that they are not use to they curl up, this in turn causes the animal host to do the same. It should settle in a couple of days.

What sort of lighting did the shop have.

Assuming that your tank is running well and that the foot hasn't been damaged on the Anemone it shouldn't be a problem.

You may have to just wait and see.

If it does'nt you could have problem with your water. Most Anemonies live at the top of the reef and can even be left high and dry for many hours during the day yet they survive with easebecause of a mucous that they excrete which has UV blocking propeties.

Where they live the water has the highest level of saturated oxygen.

they also have very turbulent water at times, this does not mean you should aim a pump directly at it.

Aaron

Thanks for your ideas, I appreciate very bit of advice you can offer,

Tonight he has moved alot and is sitting near the tank bottom,

He is still hidding but also has some of his tenticles inflated a bit,

I am scared he will get to the back or get stuck in rocks but I don't really want him to get damaged. So I am not moving him around.

His suction cup thingee had no rips, when purchased.

But tenticles are not what I would call sticky.

The more information about the creatures the better.

Cheers for the help.

It can't get stuck in the rocks it will get through the smallest gap.

Have you got plenty of flow in the tank they love it.

have you got a nice big rock with plenty of holes in it so it can get its foot right into the holes to hang on with.

If you get it in the right place it want more, let it find its own space and hope that it doesn't get into a power filter.

If it is the same as mine they love to sit on top of a rock with the foot in a hole.

Where as bubble tips like to put the foot and trunk deep into the rocks and stick their head out

Is it possible to put a photo up of it please.

• 2 weeks later...

He is still alive.

Sorry no pics as camera seems broken.

He is still hidding alot in between rocks.

I feed him the other day and he seemed to eat some black tiger shrimp.

Hard to tell as he is white and so is the shrimp.

I have just brought one tonight, first time I have seen one in the shops.

What are its preferences, current, food, light.

By the way now need a metal halide setup pronto.

PM me if you have a metal halide unit sitting around you want $$$$$ for.

Hopefully my clowns "Baggers & Mash" will like it

Im not teaching you to suck eggs, but you really should have read up about them and learnt prior to putting it in your tank. You should also have got M/H lighting prior as well etc FIRST. Not because it would have been easier for you, but better off for the Anemone and IT'S livelihood.

an anemone will move to a spot it likes rather than you putting it in a place you like. the amount of light depends on the type of anemone too. what family does it belong too? from the name, it sounds like Heteractis crispa. defined as a 'difficult to keep' anemone.

I have 5 anemones. They will find their own spot.

Chimeras comments above are fair. You should have a well lit aquairum (with pristine stable water conditions) before the introduction of the anemone, so it can find its own home. At least thats what my own experance has shown me.

Feeding an anemone. You can kill them with too much food. I havn't fed mine in over 15 months, all are looking well. I would reccomend not feeding them.

Pies

to continue on from my last post, if it is indeed the family Heteractis crispa (or H. malu) Here's a description of them:

Tentacles range from long and thin to short and fat depending on the condition of the anemone (short and fat usually means it is starting to waste away). Tentacles usually have magenta colored tips although yellowish-green tips are not uncommon. Colors can be dyed yellow, dyed pink, natural pink/purple, natural yellow, tan, but by far the most common is pure white. The oral disk may also have a green sheen under actinic light.

Good Points-They are very common in stores and are usually the least expensive of the host anemones. They are accepted by virtually all clownfish whether they occur together in nature or not. Some not so white specimens can regenerate their symbiotic algae thus becoming a brown color. If you can obtain a tan specimen with long thin tentacles they should do well under conditions similar to that required for bulb anemones.

Bad Points-No one I have spoken with, not even the public aquariums, can keep the white or yellow ones alive for more than 6-8 months. Out of the over 20 responses I received regarding sebaes only 2 anemones had stayed alive for over one year. Both of the anemones were tan in color either when purchased or had turned tan shortly there after. One thought is that sebae anemones may expel their symbiotic algae shortly after capture and when it is completely gone it is not easily replaced. Frank Greco of the New York Aquarium says that he has been successful in getting otherwise healthy sebaes to "color up" by feeding once a week with fresh fish, clam, shrimp or gelatin. They also get live brine shrimp, adult and baby, and a yeast based diet of his own design. In addition to the frequent feedings the anemones are exposed to very bright light, three 400 watt metal halide bulbs over the six foot by six foot, four foot tall anemone tank. If the anemone is not able to replace its zooxanthellae it is doomed to a very slow starvation once in the tank. There are cream colored sebae anemones found in shallow water in the wild, but they are not the transparent white color found in the dealers tanks. These don't seem to be a good beginner's anemone despite articles I have read that say they are.

How long have you been keeping marines.

Anemonies are not for beginners, there are alot of people that beleave they should be left in the reef because of the light and conditions they need to survive.

If your intention was to give clowns an anemone, there was no need, they don't need one to survive in a tank and they will happily use many other things including corals.

Aaron.

Please remember I asked for help not abuse.

I have the anemone now and am trying to keep it.

And yes you are right I have not alot of experience with marine fish I admit it. Hence mistakes can and are made.

I have found that my skimmer was not functioning properly. Was 3-5 mls per 3 days. Now the cup is two thirds full 100mls per 24 hours.

I have also researched more and was told to do more water changes.

I got the metal halide setup Acardia 3000 two days after I purchased the anemone.

Today he had spread out (although still behind some rocks) he would be near on 15 cm across at least.

Only time will tell.

Yet again thanks to those who have been helping me with my mistake.

Your help is appreciated.

Thats right don't blame the customer: If these Anemones have no chance in a reef tank why are they being taken off the reef!!!

I also have 5 Anemones with no experience in the beginning but find them easy to look after.

My water is far from pristine

When I purchased the Malu I had no idea they were doomed to starve to death maybe the shops don't know either.

When I bought it, it was in the white with pink tip state over time I managed to bring it up to light brown with great big long tentacles

It has only packed a sad since I have been trying to clean my water up.

I am going to do my best to bet the odds will keep you posted

Ira

How is your white with pink tip Anemone

Seems to be doing well. Hasn't colored up any yet, which is a bit disappointing. But, it's tentacles are about 3 times as long now as when I bought it, doesn't seem to have been much change in the last couple weeks. There are a few tentacles near its mouth that are maybe 3 inches long, a few of those tentacles are branching? Wierd. Anyway, it's still alive.:)