sand sifting

chimera

what's the best option to help keep my substrate turned over? obviously snails will help, but not enough. i was thinking sand sifting goby or sand wrasse or similar. brittle stars would also help i guess. however, i also have a mandarin and dont want a fish that will out compete him for live food. he was moderately skinny when i first got him but he's been slowly getting fatter as my pod population has increased. so, bearing the mandarin in mind, whats the best fish/invert/other to stir up the sand? oh, and this is for the main tank, sand bed about 1/2" - 3/4" thick. want to consider something for the fuge too, sand bed about 2" thick. not quite DSB (and not interested in going DSB yet)

Why do you want to turn it over? I just leave mine (approx 2inch thich), seems fine, looks clean and white. Its full of life (lots of little tube thingies etc), I think if you get a sand sifting goby they 'kill' the sandbed? But they are nice looking fish.

Pieman

I just leave mine (approx 2inch thich), seems fine, looks clean and white

well that's where you are lucky. my sand turns brownish over time with algae growth. i would your white sand down to very well directed water flow and good lighting. also the extra life you have also helps turns it over too.

i actually noticed once my closed loop went in, the sand stays whiter for a much longer period of time. also reduced growth with new bulbs (go figure) still, i'm convinced water movement helps considerably - once a couple of powerheads go in, i'll see if this helps. however i would still like something that will sift the sand around and help maintain the white appearance.

Once a week I stir up my sand bed with a spatula device. I grab it from the bottom and churn it over extremely violently leaving the tank in a swirl of cloudy mess!

The mess goes away after an hour and the bed looks Beautiful!

Yeah I do this too, but would rather do it some other way.