loach experts

binu

hi guys just a small question about dwarf chain loaches

I heard they eat snails !! is that true ??

I have a 500 lit planted tank infested with ramhorns !!! did tried dropping zukhini n picking them up but there are heaps !!

so I bought 2 dwarf chain loaches just to see if they eat them !! do they actually eat ramhorns ??

They can eat them, but it's worth considering what your reasons are for wanting to remove them. Snails can be beneficial - they rarely eat plants, and are good indicators of bioload. Typically a snail boom means that you've had a dead fish, dying plants or have been overfeeding.

Dwarf chain loaches are very active fish and like Adrienne said, require groups (preferably 8+). When kept in small numbers, like many loaches, they can either become timid or aggressive towards other fish.

f you add them to the tank keep an eye on their behaviour with the discus. They are nippy and I find my dwarf chains will chase at the discus at time,s and also nibble up the discus sides while chasing them away. It doesn't happen all the time and happens less now the chain loaches are older but it is something to be aware of and keep an eye on.

They are also not compatible with cory - just in case you do any some in your tank.

thanks Adrienne for the info , didn't thought they wont go along with cories , n unfortunately I have few corries in there but its very very thick carpeted with dwarf sagitaria so plenty of hiding , fingers crossed , as I don want to catch them from that very high 520 litr tank haha