Fish.....which to get....

Blitz

Hi

I have just added:

x1male guppy

x3female guppys

x2 b/n

To my 900x450x450 community aquarium. This is my first tropical aquarium and im not too sure of the compatability of the occupants. I am running an eheim 2213

I would just like to know which fish would be a "Peaceful" addition to these fish. I am thinking of getting:

x1 male betta

x6 cardinal tetra (dam expensive :evil: )

x3 platys

x3 swordtails

x4 corydoras

x2 angels

Please let me know of anything that wouldnt work and anthing to solve this.

:hail: Thnx, :hail:

Blitz

All of those are OK. Just remember to take it slowly (have you had the concept of "cycling" the tank explained to you?).

Angels do get large, and can eat smaller fish, but most of them should be OK.

Also, be careful with the sword-tails, you need to 2-3 females for every male to avoid fights between the males. Plattys and female swordtails are pretty much the same, so you could replace the plattys with female swords if you wanted more male swords.

In general you will find it is more aesthetically pleasing to have a larger group of one sort of fish than two smaller groups (assuming they are shoaling fish). Unfortunately this conflicts with the desire to get *all* the interesting and pretty fish you find down at the store.

It depends on how flashy your guppies are. I had a beautiful male guppy with a huge tail that one of my males ripped to shreds (just the tail, not the whole guppy) but he generally leaves everyone else alone (there are plenty of other male guppies in the same tank that are fine).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Blitz!

If you are wanting to keep that many fish i would not suggest having a fighter. The Angelfish have a tendency to nip at his tails and causes an unhappy life 4 the betta. Also guppies will get tormented by the fighter if they have fancy tails because the fighter finds them to be a threat. Also it is a way to larger tank for the fighter, it doesn't need much room.

Hope that helped :D

morgie

If its a choice between the angels and the fighter, the Betta Splendens wwins everytime in my book. angels are often ok but sometimes nippy and they do get large with age. I would consider having more of the tetras though - eventually - your tank could take a decent shoal of them. When you keep less than 10 or 12 they tend not to stick together as much. Also I used to keep a minimum of 6 corys of the same species and found they were far more likely to stick together. My Corydoras Julii (still one of my faves) used to go on a group reccy every day just before the lights came on, and then again after lights out.

Grrr, wish i had not come on and read the freshwater posts - Im supposed to be concentrating on my marine project but i JUST KNOW i will end up with a freshwater tank too. Sorry ANZ -

Hi Blitz, if you want to have fry from the Guppies and Swords the Angels will eat them, I have 2 lge Angels in my AR850 with 3x rams 2xB/Nose 12x Loaches and they behave well, occasionaly when there are to many Guppy fry in my 4 ftr i net a few out and put them in with the Angels and they go mad hunting them down. The 4 ftr is all Swords and Guppies and looks quite cool