feeding...

Blitz

I have just bought one male guppy, three female guppys and two bristlenoses for my 900x450x450 tank. These are my first fish and im not sure how much and how often to feed them.

The food i have bought is:

Colorbits, Tropical granules

Nutrafin max, Spirulina algae tablets

Nutrafin max, Color enhancing flake food

How much would i have to feed them?

:hail: Thnx, :hail:

Blitz

Well for my guppies (I got 6 of them) I give them about a pinch of flakes (crushed up) morning and night and for my 1 bristlenose I give it 1/4 of a tablet because its only 2.5 cms long lol. Depends on how big your bristlenose is as to 1/4 or 1/2 or a whole tablet.

With the guppies you will soon see how much they are able to eat in one sitting. Give them a very small amount and if its all gone and they are still searching the surface for more food after 1-2 mins then offer them a little more but not to much more.

But I am sure that others here will be able to give you some guide lines to follow. I am just going by what the shop told me.

Also your bristlenose will eat wood (bog or driftwood I think) and also veges like cucumber (seedless) and peas with the shell taken off. There are also a couple of other veges that it will eat but I don't know how to spell them hehehe. Check out the Catfish section :D

For one BN a single half a cm slice of cucumber or courgette will do. If it isn't eaten after a couple of days then remove it. They like the inside best and eat from the inside out until just the skin is left. You could weight it down with lead or a rock too, otherwise it floats all over the place.

B/N are algae eaters, unless your tank is very clean you don't really need to feed them at all, if it is a new setup I would just feed them until you can start to see algae on the glass etc then stop. They do however need a piece of wood in the tank which they will chew on, I think this is for fiber or something!!

I have 15-20 in my 4 foot tank which I never feed (also never have to clean algae :D ) they are happily breeding, which is why I have so many, I started with only two.

Over feeding is the biggest problem people have when they first start out the general rule is only what they can eat in 5 minutes but you will soon be able to tell if they are right by how your fish look and how that tank is looking. Remember that fish can survive for a week or two with out being feed, plus they will eat alot of 'stuff', algae, plants etc that is growing in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of feeding...anybody have a burger...just kidding :D

I have been feeding my goldfish, platy, and tetras tropical flakes. I was told this would be enough for them. I have been trying to read up on this, but still soooooo much to learn.

I know my poor goldfish shouldn't be in with the rest but he is there and has to stay for now.

I've seen different kinds of foods for different kind of fish. But what do you do when you have different species? Can I still put in goldfish pellets or goldfish flakes? What if I wanted to give the goldfish a pea? Is it okay to put a pea in with the other species?

I've seen dried...I think it was shrimp and some that were in a cube? It says to give as treats but only give as much as they can eat in 5 minutes or so. So if you give these treats do you still give them their feeding, or do the treats replace the feeding? :-? OHH...so confused!

Like humans, fish like a varied diet. The tropical flakes are enough but boring. That is why you feed other stuff once or twice a week as a 'treat'. Try also spirulina flakes. Do you have access to any live foods?

Thanks Caryl:)

No access to live food here. So you suggest once or twice a week as a "treat", but does the treat take the place of the feeding? I haven't noticed "spirulina" flakes but I'll look the next time I'm in the store.

I think I might start with the dried shrimp. Ahhhh...silly question...but do I need to break them up :o

B/N are algae eaters, unless your tank is very clean you don't really need to feed them at all

Can anyone else confirm this as true? Yes in the wild they eat algae, but in the wild there are huge tufts of algae everywhere. I don't think that the amount of algae that grows in any one aquarium would be enough for them to subsist on solely.