Siamese Fighter Fish in community tank.

Bristle

Hi, I have a 500L tank that's looking abit empty, there is currently some diamond tetra's clown loach glasscats zebra loach living in there. I plan on getting some bolivian rams and dwarf, opaline and pearl gourami, would a female siamese fish fighter work or is it best to keep them to their own tanks.

Thanks

...This is my 500 litre tank, my parents bought it with fish for me last night. It's currently stocked with 5 diamond tetras, 1 clown loach, 1 glasscatfish, 1 convict, 1 large pleco, 2 bristlenose, 2 or 3 kribs, 1 kuhli loach.

Why not add more to the schooling fish? Make them more comfortable and make them feel safer. One female siamese fighter will look tiny in a 500L tank.

Why not add more to the schooling fish? Make them more comfortable and make them feel safer. One female siamese fighter will look tiny in a 500L tank.

Where did the quote you quoted come from that information incorrect :an!gry I'm buying 10 more diamond tetras and 20 neons next week.

Hi, I have a 500L tank that's looking abit empty, there is currently some diamond tetra's clown loach glasscats zebra loach living in there. I plan on getting some bolivian rams and dwarf, opaline and pearl gourami, would a female siamese fish fighter work or is it best to keep them to their own tanks.

Thanks

Yeah, should be fine bettas are pretty timid except males when they see another longfin fish.

Where did the quote you quoted come from that information incorrect :an!gry I'm buying 10 more diamond tetras and 20 neons next week.

No need to get cross. :)

It's from your other thread in this section about the same tank. It will end up being a lot easier for you to keep all things about the one tank together otherwise those viewing and offering assistance are more likely to be put off.

Generally the moderators will merge two threads in the same area together to keep the forums tidier.

Anyway in reply to the question on the siamese fighter, I guess I would ask why you want a single female in the tank. Yes, you can but females are plain compared to males and when stressed will only show bars but very little colour. A single female is not really going to show up in a big tank. If you got six or so of them you could expect to see them more easily and it would add a splash of colour to the tank if you selected different coloured females :) But if it's something you really want in there, then go for it. :)

I wasn't angry this " :facepalm:" might of been more appropriate for the situation, would having 5 or so females affect having gouramis? I've read that fish like gourami might be mistaken for another siamese fighter fish, would this be a problem, also would a bolivian ram or two "attack" fish like gourami siamese fighter fish or tetras?

:bggrn:

The issue with fighters is that male fighters and male gourami generally choose to disagree majorly because both being labyrinth fish they are bubble nesters. It's the long fins of the male that get them nipped. Basically they are too closely related to be in a tank together.

Females should be just fine. There are no guarantees, even within the same species, that fish will not fight. Like humans, some are laid-back and couldn't care less, others niggle away at anything that swims past and others are all out for a good full on fight :)

Bolivian rams will leave most other fish alone unless they pair and have eggs and fry. You have a good sized tank - the gourami will occupy the top space, the fighters will move through all levels, the tetra are mostly mid tank and the rams, should they breed will stay at the bottom of the tank.

I have kept bolivian rams in my discus tank (450 litres but 1500 long). The tank also had cardinals, harlequins and rummy nose, fancy small plecs, clown loaches and cory. The only time there was any dispute was when the bolivians bred, then they would chase the others away from the fry but there was no real fighting.

:bggrn:

The issue with fighters is that male fighters and male gourami generally choose to disagree majorly because both being labyrinth fish they are bubble nesters. It's the long fins of the male that get them nipped. Basically they are too closely related to be in a tank together.

Females should be just fine. There are no guarantees, even within the same species, that fish will not fight. Like humans, some are laid-back and couldn't care less, others niggle away at anything that swims past and others are all out for a good full on fight :)

Bolivian rams will leave most other fish alone unless they pair and have eggs and fry. You have a good sized tank - the gourami will occupy the top space, the fighters will move through all levels, the tetra are mostly mid tank and the rams, should they breed will stay at the bottom of the tank.

I have kept bolivian rams in my discus tank (450 litres but 1500 long). The tank also had cardinals, harlequins and rummy nose, fancy small plecs, clown loaches and cory. The only time there was any dispute was when the bolivians bred, then they would chase the others away from the fry but there was no real fighting.

Thanks for the advice. :gpo2:

I quoted that from your own thread? And just took out the african cichlids that your said you were getting rid of. How am I suppose to know what fish you're getting in the future?