Water change question

chris b

Hi team i have just removed my kitchen as we are doing renovations, I was using kitchen sink/tap to do water changes and now i only have cold tap to do them.

Do you think filling the tank with cold water will be ok? I usually do 50% water change once a week

Thanks Chris

Hi team i have just removed my kitchen as we are doing renovations, I was using kitchen sink/tap to do water changes and now i only have cold tap to do them.

Do you think filling the tank with cold water will be ok? I usually do 50% water change once a week

Thanks Chris

As long as the water temp doesn't drop by more than a few degrees you'll be fine. But 50% it's probably going to get pretty chilly.

How many Litres?

If its not too many,you could perhaps let it sit at room temp for a while in buckets.. being warm autumn weather ,shroud be ok. could even add some warmed kettle water to the buckets though the oxygen level will be less. (from the boiled water)

Run your tap for a couple of minutes then check the temp coming out of it.

Am I right in thinking you've got a heap of clown loaches, and subsequently keep your tank fairly warm? If so, might pay not to change such a large amount straight from the tap if it is going to drop the temp too much, IMO. You could use the stove/kettle to heat some up, but really the best bet (better than using warm tap water IMO) is to invest in a decent sized barrel to store and pre-heat/pre-treat your tap water. Even if not the whole amount, I've found adding only 300L of cold water instead of 500L goes a long way towards minimising the temperature drop.