whacked cycle?! someone please explain

gemelee

This is far from my first tank so I'm well aware of how the cycle process works but my tank I've just started cycling a few days ago is barely and I mean BARELY showing ammonia, about 0.1ppm. 0 nitrites but has 10ppm nitrates!? I made sure it was well shook (of that's a word :slfg: )

Can someone please explain how this is possible? Tap water is showing 0 nitrates

Did you seed it with media from another tank? And what are the reading son your water change water?

One small goldfish in a tank that size I'd expect you're either getting nitrates from your water, or the nitrate reading is incorrect. 0-10 is easily within the margin of error based on light, water color, etc just effecting comparing to the color chart.

Just tested again and got the same results 0.1 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 10 nitrates. I also tested the tap water again 0 nitrates. There is a noticeable difference between the tap water and tap water, with tap the test is yellow and tank it's orange.

I did use some bio balls from another tank but the goldfish didn't go in until about a week after so I guessed all the bacteria would have died off in that time and the cycle would be started from scratch.