Gemelee's mbuna tank build

gemelee

So after asking lots of questions, I've finally gotten around to getting the tank set up, it's 154 x 32(h) x 30(w), a bit smaller than what's usually used for Africans but I think because of the length I should get away with it.

I currently have an aquis cf1200 but am thinking about adding another smaller canister filter maybe 700lph

As far as stocking goes I'm still not 100% sure and would love some suggestions.

I'm thinking (if possible) demasoni, electric yellows and red top trewavasae. I know the dems need to be at least 12 but I'm not sure how many of the others I want.

My partner built the steel stand for me and cut out a fish in the front.

Unpainted

IMAG1193_zps55b531fd.jpg

IMAG1194_zps8c5a59dc.jpg

Tank and stand in place

IMAG1214_zps5223b758.jpg

The tank was braceless, so I added some just for peace of mind more than anything

IMAG1301_zpsb159a01b.jpg

I have also added black material for a background.

I think I stuffed up my estimate of the size of the tank in my stocking suggestion (I thought it was closer to 300L). 140L might only be big enough for one or two groups of fish (they'll start adding fish themselves in time). Google Aqadvisor and put your filter and tank size estimates in there, and then work out how many adult fish you can have.

Cool tank stand though!

there's no reason why you can't keep other species, just have to be smaller ones. adding some peacocks will be ok, even some zebras but the lack of depth is your biggest issue. the length is good, they can create territories away from each other.

Make it up as you go along, get the yellows and dems and see how it is working out. As time goes on keep an eye out for what fish become available and do research into if they will work and give them a go if you like them. From what i've seen regarding availability of specific species is it can be erratic. You might decide you want a certain species but then none are available for months.

:slfg: Godly, yes I do but I was sneaky about it, I painted the edges of it black so it blends in with the stand, but it wasnt there in the first lot of pics, I didnt put it under until I put the background on.

And thanks for the stocking help smidey. Any idea what order I should put things in after the cycle is comple? Yellows first as dems are more agressive??

Now cycle question, whats everyones thoughts on cycling? Ive only ever done fish in cycles using seeded media. And was considering maybe a goldfish but heard cold water takes longer to cycle?

I would start with the group of yellows, more because I'm assuming that will be the smaller group of the two. It will be easier on the cycle and they are less sensitive than the demasoni so I've heard. I've done a similar thing to you and I used fish food to cycle the tank. Just pop a small amount in and keep testing until you have 0 ammonia and some nitrate. To be on the safe side I did a water change every second day 30-40% for the first week they were in but maybe that's over kill. Either way it won't hurt. It's not a huge volume of water but if you stuck to a small group of yellows maybe you could pop a few rusties in there? They should stay smaller than the trewavasae.

Thanks for the advice bananalobster, :gpo2: but I've cycled a small 21L before using fishfood but found fish-in cycles to be a bit more reliable source of ammonia. I think I am going to put in the yellows first but only once it's completely cycled.

I was more checking that I'm not going to be hanged for doing a fish-in cycle, I understand some people are very against it. I also want to know how much longer it would take to cycle it coldwater?

i don't think it matters which species go in first. The dems are most likely to be aggro towards their own kind, it's called conspecific aggressive. Them and other africans, like tropheus are extremely conspecific aggressive but aren't as bad toward other species. They will chase other species but don't take it to the level they do with their own kind. The e yellows will stick up for themselves, as long as they are a similar size it'll be fine.

for example, with my tropheus, a pemba will seek out another pemba that's in a group of 6 duboisi. It looks like they can't even see the other species apart from swimming around it.

• 4 weeks later...