Hydra Extermination in a Fry Tank (Kinda an "emergency")

alexyay

Wow. Lucky me.

When I introduced some hatched brine shrimp into my Sterbai cory fry tank, there was this squiggly little "worm" only a couple of mm in length. Despite the thought in the back of my head that said "get rid of it", I left it. The water used for the shrimp was water from the tap, left about 6-12 hours on the bench, plus some tonic salt.

http://www.william-hogarth.de/HydraSkep ... arist.html says that Hydra cannot come from brine shrimp eggs - and they make sense. However, this "worm" had definitely come from the brine shrimp mix I just added into the tank. I don't know where it had come from - the water or the eggs. Although now that I think about it, if they're capable of surviving dried out, they could come from the air stone/tubing used.

Anyway, a few days later.

10428457_10204393704435943_7806951640971333297_n.jpg?oh=b028aca4e025f2cad9969293d819070c&oe=54FB4130&__gda__=1426992004_1b0a9fd963be4145c22329b601ca572e

Behind is a coarse sponge filter, in front is an air tube, just to put size into perspective.

One of my spare 3-spots would have been my first choice, but, well, corydora fry in a 31L. Salt would have been my second choice. Again... corydora fry.

I've used the same siphon on two tanks - it's possible they're in the other two, but a net was used over the siphon opening - here's hoping to the small chance that either 1. they aren't contaminated or 2. as they feed on brine shrimp, they aren't thriving in all my other tanks.

Does anyone have any fry-safe known extermination methods? Unless you know these guys are 100% safe, 'cause then, I'll keep them until my microscope arrives so I can have some fun.

I also have another brine shrimp brand, so I guess my next experiment is to have new equipment + 2 setups with my two brine shrimp brands. Just to be sure. If they show up in both, um, my tap water is looking to be a bit of a concern lol.

Anyway. I'm super freaked out. Can someone help my panic at all? *hyperventilates*

They /could/ be the kind that use a symbiotic relationship with algae to live. I'm, well, going to try a blackout because that's obviously the one to hurt the fish the least. They could be the other kind (don't use any algae at all), which they look to be, but it can't do any harm? They're yellow, some are more green than others.