Hoplo catfish advice

TbarTerror

I bought a pair of hoplo catfish a week ago tomorrow. Since probably last Friday they have both had a white looking poo hanging from them the boy has it worse than the female. He has a pinkish white thing hanging from him. Their behaviour seems normal they are eating well my water parameters are 0ppm for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Ph 7.4. Since I have had them i have fed them well rinsed earthworms, shrimp pellets, brine shrimp, cichlid pellets when I fed my cichlids and peas they are in a big 600litre with 6 other fish. Am I right to be concerned or are they simply getting used of their new diet.? I wormed my tank the other day just to be sure. The female also has slight cloudy eyes any one have any ideas what might be the cause.?

Usually the white stingy poo is a sign of worms/parasites, when did you worm them and what did you worm them with ? I would re worm a few times with a break in between treatments.

You say your water prams are: 0ppm for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates ? How long has your tank been running? You should be showing some reading for your Nitrates?

Cloudy eyes are usually a sign of bad water conditions.

How often do you do water changes? How much do you change?

Ive had the tank since last year running. My nitrates have pretty much read zero since the bacteria in my filter matured I bought a new filter beginning of march switching my media over from my old filter and its been running well since then. I wormed with kusuri as that's what I had on hand. I do weekly 20% water changes. I have only had these guys a week I got in touch with the people I bought them off they thought it might be change of diet their tank conditions looked ok.

Could be your test kit then, you really should be picking up something Nitrate wise if the tank has been running for that long.

Could be a change in Diet as you say, you have wormed so its clealry not going to be that now, just keep and eye on it if it doesn't improve I would look at re worming.

The API Nitrate kits often show 0 as many people don't follow the instructions completely (it's OK, we've all done it!) - it's really, really important to show the instructions exactly or it'll show 0 Nitrates. You need to shake both bottle No. 2 and the Test tube (after putting the second bottle drops in) basically until your arms almost fall off - then wait 5 minutes. You should definitely see Nitrates after that :)

Well as it happens I left the test tube sitting for a bit longer than the norm and yes looks like that was the problem I have a nitrate of 10ppm. Feel a bit silly as my readings have been zero for like a year lol oh well sh*t happens. My tap water is definitely still zero though :-)