rowaphos

chimera

how long does rowaphos typically last? (assuming a typical flow rate across it and that there is the right amount of ml's for the tanks volume) good/bad points?

i think the outbreak i had of green hair algae was due to a couple of phosphate bags i had in my skimmer that were there for sometime. i forgot about them and i think it released po4 back into the aquarium. doh! removed it now but looking to use rowaphos this time to reduce further. i have 0ppm on my phosphate test kit, but the colours are so hard to see on the salifert test kit. maybe i'm colour blind :D

All of the phosphate absorbing resins will last indefinatly (forever).

The issue is one of the amount of phosphate present and being added. Many people replace theirs every 6 months or when their test kits show phosphates present (in any amount).

I would like to use ROWAPHOS but from what i've read its only usefull in a liquidosed reactor, otherwise the other products may be a better options for the 'sock in the sump' system.

Pie

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to use ROWAPHOS but from what i've read its only usefull in a liquidosed reactor, otherwise the other products may be a better options for the 'sock in the sump' system.

Please explain what a liquidosed reactor is???? :o

Im not sure what a liquidosed reactor is - maybe hi means liquidIsed

I reckon it might be the same as a fluidised reactor/filter - i.e. a container which passes water into the bottom and out of the top at a rate which maintains a solid medium in suspension without allowing it to pass out of the top.

Replaced the O-Ring with an decent O-Ring so the lid stopped popping off.

Then built a water cpreader in the bottom under the plate for more even distrobution, then adding a top plate (egg crate) and 50mm pipe converted into a strained to stop any of the media being exited out the top of the reactor.

I see the design of these units has now been updated so water flows from the side not the top. I'd love to meet the genius behind this top pressure system, he has some explaining to do.

After mods works a treat, all media is held in suspension, and is FULL of mysidd shirmp too :/

Pie

I still don't understand how the media can't get out ?

Is your media in a stock?

It wouldn't be fluidised if it was in a sock (would be sockodised).

There is a filter plate and some filter wool (coarse & stiff) mounted in the top to avoid any media from being about to be dragged up and back into the sump.

There is a sock of carbon in there in the photo that is no longer there.

Pies