High nitrates HELP AND IDEAS PLEASE

Cybertech

To start my water parameters are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Phosphates 0, Ph 6.8, Nitrates 40ppm this is the latest reading I have done 8 50% water changes 2 days apart and have got the nitrates down to 40ppm but can not seem to reduce them any further. Tested water supply and got between 5/10 ppm nitrates (Tauranga city supply)

The Tank: Aqua One AR980 with cannister filter (Aquis 1200) running over trickle filter back into tank I have cleaned all Media in tank water and replaced wool filters apart from that I am running sponge and ceramic noodles in the trickle filter and wool, sponge,Ceramic noodles and bioballs in the cannister. tank is reasonably heavly planted and all dead matter is removed and substrate cleaned one side at a time. If anyone has any ideas of what may be causing the nitrate spike please any ideas welcome Thanks in advance for your help and ideas :-)

Whats your stocking and what are you feeding? Do you have sponges in your canister filter as well as the trickle filter and if so why?

Stocking level had been fine up until 1 month ago and got good all around readings and have not changed stocking levels as for sponges in the trickle filter these also allow for bacterial growth and have been used for such since day of the tank being started with no problems up untill 1 month ago.No plant die off either the only change was the introduction of the cannister filter 2 weeks ago this should have improved matters but they have remained stable is it that the cannister filter needs more time to cycle perhaps?

Leave the media in the trickle filter as it is with no rinsing as that is the filter that is holding the tank ammonia and nitrite stable if the canister is still cycling. If you replaced the wool in the trickle at the same time as adding new wool to the canister the spike may still be coming (not sure if thats what you meant by replacing wool filters) or it has come and being small due to some cycled media you missed it.

Nitrate of 40 borders on acceptable so my suggestion would be that unless it rises ease off the water changes and see if it stays stable. Try 30% every couple of days. Leave the media in the trickle filter as it is with no rinsing as that is the filter that is holding the tank ammonia and nitrite stable if the canister is still cycling.

Leave the media in the trickle filter as it is with no rinsing as that is the filter that is holding the tank ammonia and nitrite stable if the canister is still cycling. If you replaced the wool in the trickle at the same time as adding new wool to the canister the spike may still be coming (not sure if thats what you meant by replacing wool filters) or it has come and being small due to some cycled media you missed it.

Nitrate of 40 borders on acceptable so my suggestion would be that unless it rises ease off the water changes and see if it stays stable. Try 30% every couple of days. Leave the media in the trickle filter as it is with no rinsing as that is the filter that is holding the tank ammonia and nitrite stable if the canister is still cycling.

Yet again thanks Adrienne you are a real pleasure to deal with with the great advice. :-)