new tank wanting cichlids and needing advice

crazyforcichlids

Hi

I have never kept cichlids before and i am wanting to set up a tank with them in and need advice, i only have a synodontis featherfin in the tank at the moment.

I really like the idea of owning reasonably aggressive and interactive fish, but that don't grow too large in size and limit what i can have in my tank...if thats even possible.

Basically i would like to own an oscar or jaguar cichlid but i am wanting something that is a step down in aggression and size from this.

I also like parrot cichlids but from what i have researched owning these will really limit my choice in what other cichlids i can put in my tank.

Can anyone advise what works well in your tank, interaction and character in my tank is the main features i am wanting.

Thanks for your time

Look forward to hearing what works for you

What size is your tank?

Essentially that is the biggest limiting factor of what you can keep.

As for the aggressive cichlids from what I have read you can either keep one (or a pair), or keep them in a larger group to spread the aggression finely, but that requires a very large tank.

I keep Jack dempsey, oscar, and jag in my big tank as cichlids, with other fish to help distract them from each other.

Hi

I have never kept cichlids before and i am wanting to set up a tank with them in and need advice, i only have a synodontis featherfin in the tank at the moment.

I really like the idea of owning reasonably aggressive and interactive fish, but that don't grow too large in size and limit what i can have in my tank...if thats even possible.

Basically i would like to own an oscar or jaguar cichlid but i am wanting something that is a step down in aggression and size from this.

I also like parrot cichlids but from what i have researched owning these will really limit my choice in what other cichlids i can put in my tank.

Can anyone advise what works well in your tank, interaction and character in my tank is the main features i am wanting.

Thanks for your time

Look forward to hearing what works for you

Severums are a reasonable but not large cichlid, aren't particularly agressive and tend to be pretty interactive.

What size is your tank?

Essentially that is the biggest limiting factor of what you can keep.

As for the aggressive cichlids from what I have read you can either keep one (or a pair), or keep them in a larger group to spread the aggression finely, but that requires a very large tank.

I keep Jack dempsey, oscar, and jag in my big tank as cichlids, with other fish to help distract them from each other.

Oops i forgot to mention the crucial info...its a 250l tanm although looking at upgrading in the near future once i find a house with more space.

You sound like you have my ideal cichlid tank! Do jack dempseys have enough agression to be entertaining? I think the reason why i initially wanted an oscar was because i watched some awesome youtube videos of them at feeding times and i think those antics would really entertain me hence why i want the character, although i know i cant have them until i have a more suitable tank.

Whats your opinions on a red devil or convicts.

Thanks for your advice so far

I find my jack dempsy tough, but it spends most of its time 'hiding' in the plants.

250L isn't big enough for any of the larger cichlids like I have got, but it would be fine for a convict cichlid, or a pair of convicts.

Convicts are very aggressive when they have young, and are known to chase off much larger fish to protect them.

Red Devils would get to large.