Can I use a cannister filter?

junglejim

Hi All,

I'm using an internal pump which is noisy in our sump. Can I use an old external fresh water canister pump/filter instead as it's really quiet. I was going to remove all the internal filters, would this work do you think?

Thanks

Probably won't have the guts to lift much water. they work best with zero head.

what sized pump, tank and canister?

Hi All,

I'm using an internal pump which is noisy in our sump. Can I use an old external fresh water canister pump/filter instead as it's really quiet. I was going to remove all the internal filters, would this work do you think?

Thanks

You can, but it will be weak and expensive. Better to replace the pump with a quiet one or fix why it's noisy. Is it touching the glass? Vibration transmitted through the plumbing, etc?

What Size?

WP or RW range (RW are newer, better flow dispersion) on Fish-street.com are cheap and effective, and also the quietest power heads I've ever used.

Flow is greater than many people need, WP-10 or RW-4 is good for up to like 120L ish tanks, then WP-25 or RW-8 for up to 300L tanks (I have 2 RW-8 in my 240L and only have them at 3 out of 10 power).

What Size?

WP or RW range (RW are newer, better flow dispersion) on Fish-street.com are cheap and effective, and also the quietest power heads I've ever used.

Flow is greater than many people need, WP-10 or RW-4 is good for up to like 120L ish tanks, then WP-25 or RW-8 for up to 300L tanks (I have 2 RW-8 in my 240L and only have them at 3 out of 10 power).

All of those would make an even worse return pump than a canister filter.

My bad, I misread his comment and thought he was using the internal pump (or canister) for water movement, not return from his sump.

Jebao "DC" range on fish-street are cheap sump pumps, like http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_dc3000_water_return_pump or http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_dc_water_return_pump.

Don't really know long term reliability of these units, but they have a reasonable reputation on the overseas forums.

My flatmate has had a DC3000 for around 4 months, no issues. It's really quiet once it settles down and if you put a foam mat under it.