Best plants for non draining pots??

fish_fingers

Recently discovered 5 pots, 12 and 17cm deep, in my kitchen and thought to put them to use. Does anyone have any ideas/knowledge as to what plants do best in non draining pots? I have thought about (legal) herbs, carnivorous plants (specific species), cacti and some succulents. My Google search has lead me in circles. Any info would be much appreciate, thanks in advance.

Any plant really that will fit. I put stones or gravel in the bottom of mine (I use a lot of empty Moccona jars for my kitchen herbs). A good 5-10cm of that lets the water drain away from the roots, but still lets the plant draw from the condensation when it needs it.

Excellent!!! I had read about the gravel and similar. Thanks :D

Many CP's (carnivorous Plants) love undrained pots; especially if they are not unglazed terracotta pots - specifically the various species that will grow in bogs. Sarracenia, Venus Fly Traps and Sundews are all easy to come by and easy to grow in undrained containers (normally called mini-bogs).

They generally require a lot of light, and a general mixture 1/3rd each of sand, peat and perlite with some sphagnum chucked in on top will get you away.

There is heaps of info online on the specifics....

Also re: rocks in the bottom of containers - this is a myth.

Thanks Dr A, I have a few CP but have not decided which to repot....might still have time before they reach full growing time i.e. wake from winter hibernation. It's funny you say that about the rocks/stones in the bottom of a pot and thanks for clarifying that.....I had been confused by the interweb.....I guess as long as the roots are not sitting i.e have short roots in water the plants will be fine. Cheers.

Nearly all Cacti and succulents hate non draining pots as most live in desserts and other dry places planting cacti or succlents in a non draining pot would be a death sentance ive keep cacti and succlents most of my life and had over 100 types :sage:

Thanks Dr A, I have a few CP but have not decided which to repot....might still have time before they reach full growing time i.e. wake from winter hibernation. It's funny you say that about the rocks/stones in the bottom of a pot and thanks for clarifying that.....I had been confused by the interweb.....I guess as long as the roots are not sitting i.e have short roots in water the plants will be fine. Cheers.

Yeah you're leaving most of them a bit late to re-pot most species, although I've had to do it in both spring and summer before and been okay.

Now's the time to re-pot nepenthes though...

All my outdoor CP's have got new growth coming through.

Yeah you're leaving most of them a bit late to re-pot most species, although I've had to do it in both spring and summer before and been okay.

Now's the time to re-pot nepenthes though...

All my outdoor CP's have got new growth coming through.

Yip, repotted my Neps months ago and my sundews and "ground" pitchers are just starting to wake....my D.binata and D.filiformis are catching bugs already :D

Recently discovered 5 pots, 12 and 17cm deep, in my kitchen and thought to put them to use. Does anyone have any ideas/knowledge as to what plants do best in non draining pots? I have thought about (legal) herbs, carnivorous plants (specific species), cacti and some succulents. My Google search has lead me in circles. Any info would be much appreciate, thanks in advance.

If you want to venture beyond bog plants, any power drill with a masonry bit will fix the problem in no time. I have turned plenty of cheap, non-draining pots into draining ones this way. Just a thought! :smln:

Not sure what you mean by rocks in the bottom of jars is a myth? It's been working fine for me for years. Herbs, succulents, cacti, emersed plants. Just don't over water them and they grow crazy. When they get too big, just pull them out and repot them. Easy.

I guess different people have different experiences.

A few rocks in the bottom of a pot can make a big difference in a pot with a hole, because they greatly reduce the chance of the hole getting blocked by soil that might compact over time. In this way they make sure that the soil remains well drained. If rocks are supposed to play a role in a pot without a hole, for the life of me I can not think of what that may be.