Beginner Questions (sorry)

joesoleo

Hello,

I have recently had a lifestyle change, and have a lot of free time for the time being. I have had a 20L tank spare and thought this size would be a good way to get into fish-keeping , and hopefully move on to bigger tanks. I understand that this size limits my choices of fish and I have decided to have one male betta. I like to do things properly and want to make absolutely sure that this tank is successful. However, there seems to be a lot of contradictory information on the internet and it is all pretty confusing. I don't want to half-arse a step because I understand how delicate a process this is. So I apologize for the noob questions and realize these have probably been asked a zillion times before.

Anyway here goes:

1.I believe I understand the steps in cycling a tank. However what confuses me is the ins and outs of filters. My aquarium is one of the blue planet ones that comes with a filter and a light and I brought it second hand (http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... um/m/1015/). The filter contained ceramic rings, the black plastic balls with the lines going through them, and a bag of little black stones which are possible charcoal. What I would like to know is what media you would recommend a being the best for small, planted aquariums?

2. I would like a planted aquarium but I am unsure of what substrate to use and what plants would suite only a low powered light? Do I have to chose plants that suite bettas in particular?

3. This might be against the rules to ask are there any preferences to certain fish stores in Christchurch? I don't mind paying a little extra if they are knowledgeable and the fish are kept in good conditions.

Thanks for your time

:wave:

Firstly welcome to the addiction.

Now as for your filter media it sounds as though you have some good stock.

Just make sure that you have a coarse and then fine filter wool before the other media.

This will help to filter out all the larger particles in the water before filtering through the rest.

As for plants....

Look on the FNZAS plants page. most of the commonly found, low light level plants will do fine.

Fighters don't generally go for plants but do like to hide in them.

Ambulia, water wisteria, java ferns, small crypts, star grass, most species of hygrophila, dwarf sag..... and more.

Most LPS will have mostly easy to maintain plants... but then again that can also be a great way to get snails and unwanted algae.

I think at the end of the day the best advise is to learn as you go. Thats how most of us do it.

:slfg: