help with white spot that won't go away.

polgara

My poor babies are dying. I can't seem to get rid of white spot. The clowns got it first, and I have lost one so far, now the green sevrums have it really bad too. I have been treating with blue curcle white spot cure and it is not helpin. Today I did a water change and used salt as well. But they are still lookin really sad and sick. Please help

Hi Polgara,

As you possibly know... I don't use meds, but on the odd occasions I have white spot I find that the heat system works.

Raise your temp to around 29C (85F)

This will speed up the cycle of the WS.

Increase you aeration to cope with the increased heat.

Remove any carbon from your filters until the WS is gone.

Within three days the WS will drop from the fish and this is the ONLY time that any meds are effective, as no matter WHAT you pour into the tank, it won't kill the WS until they are off the fish.

Now this is VERY important.

Once you see the WS has dropped from the fish you must siphon the gravel to remove as many of the WS cysts as you can.

Failure to do this will allow them to break open and go on the hunt for a new host.

Do this siphoning each day until you see no further re-occurance of the WS.

This siphoning will also act as a water change.. so don't replace any of the water you removed... but ensure that your top up water is at the same temp as the water you took out..

Keep EVERYTHING that has been near the tank or in the tank.. (Nets.. tools.. containers etc).. in STRICT quarantine away from any other tanks you have.

WASH your hands before touching other tanks.

The WS may not be completely gone over the three days, but once the WS has dropped from the fish, they will start to feel a bit better and begin to build up a bit of immunity to further attacks.

I would go easy on the salt if you have Clown Loaches.

HTH :)

Bill.

The actual kill period for the WS is AFTER the cysts hatch and are in the water column and in contact with the medication.

The heating up hurries up the process, and also you should continue the treatment till three days after the WS has appeared to have left the fish.

The reason for more aeration is that the warmer the water,

the less oxygen content.

How did you get the WS?

Did you bring it in with your new aquisitions??

mmmmmmmmm??

Alan 104