Fish Storage Opinions/Experances?

flymike

Hi Guys,

Were being kicked out of our current house (5 months before buying our own property!), So I'm putting all my African Cichlids (40x mostly juvis) in to a large tank of apx 450l for storage until I can re-set up properly in the new house early next year.

I just want your opinion on the way I'm planning on filtering this larger "storage" tank.

I have just set it up and am cycling it now with-

-4x large sponge filters, run of a Eheim 400lph air pump (have had them in an existing tank for the last month)

-1x 2800lph Fluval wave maker

-1x CF1200 canister (which has been filtering another tank for the last year or so) This will be replaced with a Fluval U4 internal)

This system is set up in a my in-laws garage and I don't want to be using a heap of their power.

I have it insulated on all sides, top and bottom with 25mm poly, to help keep the heat in, minimize heating requirements.

I plan to replace the canister with a Fluval U4 1000lph internal filter as they use less than half the power of the canister but with better flow.

I've put 2 sponges at each end of the tank, with the wave maker at one end and will have the U4 internal at the other, 50mm of aragonite covers the bottom, and about 75l of rock piled along the back of the tank.

With the U4, 4x sponges and the 2800lph wave maker I will be getting apx 4200lph of water movement which is around 10x the tanks water volume per hour.

Am I right in thinking that this will be sufficient for bio filtration on this tank, remembering its really just for storage for 4-6 months or so, and I will still be doing water changes every week.

- I am hoping the U4 will act as more of a solids filter, and the sponges as the bio, with the wave maker and U4 helping with circulation.

- Just after others opinions and ideas.

- If Im heading up the wrong path, please point me in the right direction, I've had to do this in a hurry.

- Any hints on sponge filters will be greatly appreciated as this is the first time I've used them.

- If I had to fit another internal to help with solids filtration, i would be getting more than twice the circulation of one cf1200. And the power consumption for the two internals would also be less than running one canister.

Thanks

Mike

does the canister have more media than the internal you plan to use? i think the canister will be better and filtration is the most important thing in keeping the fish healthy and well.

Of course the canister has more media, but I'm trying to offset that with the 4 sponges. The tanks not going to be overstocked, as the fish are mostly juvies now, and I hope to have the new tanks and setup sorted in 5-6 months and spread them back out.

I test my water often, so i guess I'm just going to have to wait and see if it works out, if not I will have the canisters to fall back on. because I'm having to store the tank and fish at the in-laws, I'm really trying to keep the running costs down, I don't want to step on anyone's toes if ya know what I mean