Chelle's 350L African Tank

SanityChelle

The rusty fry tank's numbers is now up to 18ish, with more to be stripped over the weekend. The rustys are going crazy!

Bacon is still tiny. He's one of two fry in the main tank and are only about 1-2cm, so pretty impossible to tell what sex they are. Since they're already in the tank, and there's no way of catching them, I'll leave them in there. The others in the fry tank will be sold on when they're big enough.

So are you hoping to have around 40ish adults in there?

15-20 dems plus another 18 large fish is going to be detrimental to the health of the fish

Even now its overstocked in my opinion im guessing at 350 litres its 1200-500-500? (mm)

My last tank had my africans and only had around 8 peacocks in it and that was 450 litres and they still didnt have enough room.

Yellows can get to 15cm and dems around 12cm

I've been pretty open about my stocking plans for this tank for a long time on multiple public forums, long before I even bought the fish. You're the first person to say I'm overstocked to the point of harming the fish. I mean, I'll look in to it as I do care about my fish, but I'm not going to change my stocking based of one person's opinion alone.

I reckon you will be fine Michelle, as with most Africans the key to less aggression is over stocking so you shouldn't have any issue there. You have a really good sized filter which helps when keeping a large amount of fish in a tank this size, it's no more than I have seen in other members tanks of around the same dimensions.

I cant say ive seen anybody whos kept africans in as many as i have recommend 40+ large fish in 350 litres.....

Sizes of these fish arent small

Ive bred and kept many africans as most know on this forum.

350 litres for even 10 yellows is not enough especially when breeding add into the mix 20 breeding demasonis.8 large cats aswell

Sorry wasnt meaning to come across rude or anything.

Just trying to give you sound advise as ive kept all those species in similiar numbers but in a much larger tank

Its always wise to overstock but when you are doing so in such large numbers in a small tank mayhem can ensue

I think those numbers sound fine for the tank. In the lake they have very high stocking densities.

Cafrawhitetopthumbiisland_zpsec3972a8.png

The important thing is to provide excellent water quality, enough food for everyone and lots of water changes.

You would have a natural die off of a few individuals over time through human error and nature. This means you will end up with a smaller colony that is constantly getting replenished with a few fry that are die hards.

Having redundancy on your filter or running it through a Hamburg Matten filter(your bio filter) first and then through your canister will be more than enough. Coupling this with lots of water changes and growing plants on the tanks will make your life easier.

To be able to feed everyone sufficiently try feeding nori (sushi wrap) in combination with your conventional food. This means your able to bulk out everyone and not add massive amounts of nitrates. I buy the stuff in 100 piece packs and it works out very affordable.

Tyrannichromisfeedingnori_zps4cfc81a7.png

This is a large predatory cichlid female feeding on nori in Lake Malawi. She is McLovin it.

Wow, those photos are amazing. Are they from your last trip over there?

Just did a wee google on the Hamburg Matten filter and found your page on canister replacement foam. Would putting a layer in the first tray of the Nautilus be a good start?

Nori is a smart idea too. I've just put them on NLS about a week ago, and they seem to be showing great colours (though they seem to be making a lot more crap too!). Would you break it up into small flake-size pieces, or let them have a go at big chucks of it?

:nfs: I've got approx 35 in my Malawi tank (with two x CF1200s, air, and wave maker) and have had zero issues with the health of my fish in over a year. Feeding NLS with occasional Nutrafin spirulina sticks and Nori (having seen Likomas fish scoffing it). I now also have pothos growing out of top of tank but early days and haven't seen nitrate reduction just yet.

Lets do the math on this.

AS a fellow breeder id have thought youd understand dense stocking likoma?

You cant compare the actual lake to a 350 litre tank......at 120cm yeah maybe get away with it in say 150-180cm but just because they are bredding doesnt mean they are thriving

Just remember your tank is 120cm and electric yellows average 15cm.

Synos get to 15cm

dems around 12

rustys around 12cm

So yellows collectively take up 150cm water sapce.

Dems take up 300cm

Rustys take up 120cm

Synos take up 120cm

Now im too tired to work that out in literage to each fish but it doesnt leave much.

Also dont feed your africans on a daily or even frequently diet of nori.has a bad impact on there digestive system and can give bloat.

Its like bloodworms should be used as a treat

Lets do the math on this.

AS a fellow breeder id have thought youd understand dense stocking likoma?

Now im too tired to work that out in literage to each fish but it doesnt leave much.

Also dont feed your africans on a daily or even frequently diet of nori.has a bad impact on there digestive system and can give bloat.

Its like bloodworms should be used as a treat

Are you looking at the water/fish ratio as a water quality or space issue?

Mmm thats an interesting fact about nori, can you elaborate please.

Cheers

Greg