AquaNano 40 Build

Totara

API is fine for ammonia, nitrite, pH.

If you are doing softies only, you can get away with just Salifert nitrate and alkalinity. If you are doing LPS or SPS, you'll need Calcium and magnesium too.

If you plan to use any phosphate remover (phosban, rowaphos, purigen, etc) you should probably get a decent phosphate test kit too.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

API is fine for ammonia, nitrite, pH.

If you are doing softies only, you can get away with just Salifert nitrate and alkalinity. If you are doing LPS or SPS, you'll need Calcium and magnesium too.

If you plan to use any phosphate remover (phosban, rowaphos, purigen, etc) you should probably get a decent phosphate test kit too.

So a full list of test kits I need is:

Ammonia

Nitrite

pH

Nitrate & Alkalinity

Calcium

Magnesium

Phosphate (I know I dont need it, I just want to be prepared)

I may just bite the bullet and get all Red Sea / Salifert. I know I wont regret it.

Just thought I would give a quick update, I am picking up my 200L barrel tomorrow night and should have the tank filled sometime this week or next week. My next question is, how loud is the AquaOne stock return pump? Will it be audible?

Cheers,

Will

I switched out the stock pump for an Eheim but ended up going back to using the stock aquaone because it was a LOT quieter. And yes the coral box LEDs work good, they are what I'm using at the moment and I have good sps growth.

Awesome, I really wanted to grow a scrolling montipora as the "feature" coral so the CoralBox looks like they should manage it. And how loud was the AquaOne one anyway?

Cheers,

Will

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would add a quick update. I have bought my wavemaker (WP-10 from fishstreet), and all I have left are the lights and test kits. I have a couple of questions about cycling, Im really conscious that the tank will start smelling if I use shrimp or similar for the cycle. And with the tank in the lounge that would be a huge issue. I was thinking of using the Red Sea Marine Care Program which has a set daily dosing and lets you add a fish at day 7, corals day 21 etc. Is there any cheaper option because I don't mind waiting.

Cheers,

Will

A single piece of frozen shrimp will barely give off any smell at all. I used 3 pieces in a 60L tank and couldn't notice any smell unless I put my face directly over the water, and even then it is quite minor. It won't be any worse than when your tank is running normally (smelling like the sea).

I wouldn't believe any bacteria seeding product's instructions, 7 days for fish and 21 days for corals is absolute rubbish. There is probably an asterisk on that claim saying it is for 1 fish in a 1000L tank or something silly.

How's the WP-10? I was told to buy two WP-25s for my 350L tank, and I've discovered that just one on H3 50% + Nightmode is plenty! It's like a freaking washing machine set any higher than that.

I haven't got it yet, I will let you know when I have.

A single piece of frozen shrimp will barely give off any smell at all. I used 3 pieces in a 60L tank and couldn't notice any smell unless I put my face directly over the water, and even then it is quite minor. It won't be any worse than when your tank is running normally (smelling like the sea).

I wouldn't believe any bacteria seeding product's instructions, 7 days for fish and 21 days for corals is absolute rubbish. There is probably an asterisk on that claim saying it is for 1 fish in a 1000L tank or something silly.

Ok I will go with that. So basically add 3 pieces of frozen shrimp then wait until after the algae bloom to add fish?

Ammonia will spike, fall away, nitrite will spike, fall away, nitrates will start to build up.

Occasionally add a bit of fish food to keep the ammonia->nitrite bacteria alive, say weekly. Increase this towards the end of your cycle.

Once all ammonia and nitrites have gone (roughly 4-8 weeks with an unseeded tank), try adding another small piece of frozen shrimp and your ammonia and nitrite spikes should last only hours, then you know you have a decently cycled tank.

Using "cycle" can't hurt I don't think but it also may not do anything. I personally used it.

Don't do water changes in the first few weeks, and only later if nitrates get above 80ppm.

You don't need light but you do need flow and heat.

You can add local invertebrates from the rock pools after a few weeks, if you want some activity in your tank.

Once you are ready to stock, add 1 fish at a time.

You can start with softies (xenia, zoas, mushrooms, etc) after the 4-8 week cycle period, but you will still get algae blooms etc.

I would stay on top of phosphates at the start by running GFO in a media bag or reactor, or purigen, as soon as you start stocking. You'll thank yourself later for having no excessive algae growth.

Cheers Kinnadian. I should be able to kickstart my cycle sometime soon then. I've been revising my test kit plan. Will I be safe getting API Ammonia, pH, Nitrite, Nitrate and Salifert KH, Magnesium, Calcium and Phosphate?

Cheers

Will

Yep, API is fine for those parameters.

Magnesium test kit is only worth it if you intend on dosing, otherwise you will sustain the appropriate level through regular water changes.

If you plan on keeping softies and easy LPS, you can get away with an API test kit for Ca, kH and phosphate in my opinion.

If you ever want to get SPS, you will need to dose Ca (and hence kH), and you will need to use phosphate removers (GFO or purigen) so you will also need a good tests.

So it is up to you, really. There is always the risk of your API test kit going off and you crashing your tank, costing you hundreds or thousands. There is theoretically also a risk using Salifert as well.

API is generally in the same ballpark as Salifert tests, you just might get up to 20pppm discrepancy for Ca or 1/2 alkalinity difference.

You also have to think how often you are actually going to test your parameters. If you have the best intentions initially and move to monthly testing (or not at all), well there probably isn't all that much use in getting Salifert.

Either way, buy overseas test kits as they are like 1/2 the price of NZ ones (incl shipping).

I'm sure we've been through this exact discussion before in your thread...

If you plan on keeping softies and easy LPS, you can get away with an API test kit for Ca, kH and phosphate in my opinion.

If you ever want to get SPS, you will need to dose Ca (and hence kH), and you will need to use phosphate removers (GFO or purigen) so you will also need a good tests.

So it is up to you, really. There is always the risk of your API test kit going off and you crashing your tank, costing you hundreds or thousands. There is theoretically also a risk using Salifert as well.

API is generally in the same ballpark as Salifert tests, you just might get up to 20pppm discrepancy for Ca or 1/2 alkalinity difference.

You also have to think how often you are actually going to test your parameters. If you have the best intentions initially and move to monthly testing (or not at all), well there probably isn't all that much use in getting Salifert.

Either way, buy overseas test kits as they are like 1/2 the price of NZ ones (incl shipping).

I'm sure we've been through this exact discussion before in your thread...

Yeah sorry. Anyway I am now sure on the test kits and can move on.

Whats the salinity of NZ Water? I think that its a bit above the optimal reef SG am I right? What % RO should I have in with it?

If you want 1.025, yep! I prefer 1.026

Is 55L the exact tank water volume, or water volume excluding the top inch of void space at the top of the aquarium?

You're using RODI water, right? Not tap water?

Oh I'm not sure, thats just what I know the tank as being from the box. Yep I am using the RO water from Countdown. I will get myself a RO/DI Unit later.