Evaporating water?

junglejim

Hi guys,

I am using sea water to top up my tank each time, but won't the salinity keep creeping up due to evaporation and replacing the water with more salt sea water?

Yes, that is why you should NEVER top up evaporation with salt water and is pretty much one of the first things listed to not do on any guide to keeping a saltwater tank.

Do you have a refractometer? You will need to do a regular test. I need to top up my barrel 3 weekly to stop salinity going too high. I water change four weekly.

Same thing applies to a tropical tank if you put salt in it on a regular basis. You need to top up evaporation with fresh water so need to calculate the amount of water you actually remove on a water change.

As others have said, top up with fresh RODI water and not salt water.

Think about it, evaporated water is just water with no salt in it. To counteract the evaporation, you need to add what is removed, which is just regular water, while the amount of salt in solution remains the same.