Dead spots 330l corner

Zalawala

Hey there need some advice. I just picked up a 330l corner aquarium.

Just wondering if anyone out there could tell me the best position of the filter outlets to be located to help reduce dead spots. The tank came with an aquis 1200 and the flow on it is absolutely pathetic!! It is not picking up much so will be upgrading that as soon as I can, also ideas for a new pump.

Is there anything I could put on the pipe into the tank to increase flow, just to get a bit of movement in the water?

What media has the cf1200 got in it? Its not big enough for a tank that size anyway, minimum flow should be 4 x the tank litre age, highest 10x, remembering that the rating is normally done with no media slowing the flow.

Yea could do, I just never know how big it should be, ATM the tank has a couple of gouramis, several different corys and catfish, green terror and a few Mbunas haha which is a horrible mix but they came with the tank, aiming to have all Mbunas, so the tank ATM prob wouldn't handle too much flow?

Have you made sure the hoses and everything are clean? I've always found cf1200s to have a respectable amount of flow. They're no fx5s but great for tge price. I use a pair on a 440l.

Aa for powerheads that tank and inhabitants should be able to handle a reasonable amount of current. A pair of powerheads about 1500l each should do it.

Well just gave the filter a clean, I don't think the last guy maintained the entire tank very well and certainly hadn't cleaned the filter for a while.

It has increased the flow slightly and the debris is now floating more in the water column along with having more air stones, but it is finding a hard time to actually make it's way back to the filter to get sucked out. God working with corner tanks is so much harder that typical rectangle tanks!

Where would I position a powerhead to get the flow going back to the pipe? And any recommendations on what I should get?

HOBs will not work on this tank

How come? Any hood just needs a slight bit of modification to fit HOBS

with 2 you can have them on the opposing rear sides for flow.

They also have extendable intake tubes.

Only way they wont work is if the tank is hard up against the wall - these HOBS need about 4 inches.

Yeah don't really want that much space between the wall and tank, also wanna try keep it as slim line as possible if ya know what I mean

yeah fair enough.

Thought about adding a marine type powerhead?

They give good wide flow that if setup right can keep crud suspended better to be taken in by your filtration

I agree with Morcs, get something like a WP-10 or WP-20 from fish street. On low flow they won't overly disturb freshwater fish but give wide flow rather than strongly directed flow like with traditional powerheads.

Directionally you just want to target them towards dead spots in the tank, or point them forwards from the middle of the tank to give the particles enough force to reach the filter inlet.

Really just experiment until you get the flow patterns you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys thought I would extend this post instead of posting a new thread so hopefully it gets seen.

I hav just received a sun sun 3000lph wavemaker....

Where should I place it? Back of the tank facing forward, at the front on the side? Top or bottom aiming up or down?

Hi guys thought I would extend this post instead of posting a new thread so hopefully it gets seen.

I hav just received a sun sun 3000lph wavemaker....

Where should I place it? Back of the tank facing forward, at the front on the side? Top or bottom aiming up or down?

Where ever you feel like. Experiment. :)

I prefer across the tank pointing up at the surface to give extra airation.