female yellow black eyed ancistrus dies

guppylover2

very sad

recently my female yellow black eyed ancistrus died after looking pale for a while and not being very active. not sure why, all water parameters excellent, other plecs healthy, lots of driftwood and vegies.

any thoughts?

no spots/parasites obvious. found on back dead.

no discolouration.

had had her for about 4 months. her male partner alive and well.

:(

I'm sorry to hear about your female.

They are a cool fish, i've had my pair for about 6 mths and they have spawned about every 3 mths with only about 10 from each batch surviving initially but getting about 20-25 per 3 weeks now, did they have plenty of fry for you to get another female? Any idea how old they were?

thanks snowman. no, unfortunately they didn't spawn, i havn't had any spawnings with these or my common bristlenose. could be coz i have glass catfish and clown loaches also - they can eat fry. might move the bristle nose into my 6 foot tank (when i get it) that i'm gonna need for the sailfin plecs. maybe then with proper breeding caves they will spawn.

not sure how old - were only about 4-5 cm when i got them, have grown to about 7-8 cm now in 4 months i've had them.

what do you reckon about breeding bristlenose plan as above? 6 foot tank might have to be 26 degrees for gold nugget.

This is the male's favourite place to look after eggs, would be over 10 times he's hatched eggs but thinking i need a 4th tank for him to have some time out as he's always looking after eggs or fry.

ColinsFish011.jpg

They are in a 3 ft tank with all their fry probably 50 or more ranging from 10-60mm. No other fish in the tank. I had some small swordtails in there a while ago to eat mossie larvae but they started nipping at the fry so they went back to their tank. Just a large piece of driftwood and a few plants in the tank. I feed them JBL pleco chips, Nutrafin bottom feeder tablets, shrimp pellets and a daily change of courgette.

Mum

Fish025.jpg

Dad

fishies.jpg

Some of the fry

Ancistrus002.jpg

i want some tooooo :lol:

i've been looking around for the yellow black eyed ones.. but they're so expensive in shops...

i have the normal ones.. they've spawned once but only one baby survived.. :(

anyway, please let me know if ur selling them.. and for how much

I know this is kinda off topic but I have seen it in many threads now. Do you guys seriously buy off each other?? Or do you sell them back to the pet store?? I don't know if my petstore will even take back any of mine if I become over populated lol

So with the right fish you could breed them and make some pocket money??

Hi PENEJANE, i sell mine on Trade Me and a bit cheaper to members on here, some of the pet shops will buy them but depends on what sort of fish, how many and how much you want for them. I'm not workinh at the moment and things are tight with a baby so the only way my fish get fed is by selling them. As an example i've seen Gold Ancistrus the same size as mine for sale at $34.95 at a LFS so mine are cheap and enables me to keep up my hobby that would have to be scrapped otherwise.

Penejane, from the killi side of things.

A trio of Aphyiosemion australe sell for $72.00

that approx. makes the wholesale price to the shops $36.00

Or $12.00 each

Some of our members sell them for $10.00

Others down to $5.00 to club members.

So the short answer is "yes, you can make a $ or two"

But we aren't rich, helps pay for more fish when we see something we want, or think we need.

There are ppl who have fishrooms, still hobbiest, and breeding to sell to the wholesalers.

But generally these guys are breeding BIG numbers.

Alan 104

• 4 weeks later...

Panaque what size are the ones you are selling for $15 ?

Mine were about 50mm long but waiting for more to grow that size before selling them, feel sorry for the male as the female gives him eggs to look after every 3 weeks, poor guy hardly gets a rest.