Planted Tank

Totara

Hi all,

I have a few questions about a planted tank I want to set up. Firstly, does anyone know where I can get some soil for my substrate in Nelson? I really like that look. And 2, will this http://www.petmart.co.nz/cart_product22555-1-3079.html?Title=AQUA%20ONE%20REFLECTOR%20FLUROGLOW%20T8%2030W%2036%20DOUBLE&Master_Category=FISH&Source_Category_ID=248 be good for keeping plants?

Regards,

Will

Soil in Nelson - I can't help with.

Lighting depends on whether or not you want low light plants or medium - high light, whether or not you are going to run CO2 and also a lot on the depth of your tank. T8 can penetrate through to 30cms but won't grow plants really enjoying high light. T5 will go through to about 45cm and T5HO to about 60cm, after that you really need metal halides. To get the plants to grow well you will need fertiliser of some sort and if you are looking at swords a good substrate fertiliser works very well or you could put something like JBL Balls around the roots as swords are heavy root feeders.

If you are looking at crypts, mosses and anubias the light you have given the link to will suffice, you would do best with a liquid fertiliser and a few balls for the roots around the crypts.

If you are looking at high light plants you should also factor in some type of CO2 injection particularly if they are slow growers.

I don't know if you have looked at the home page of this website but there is a plant section accessed by clicking the home button not he left top of this page, and along the top click on plants. It details a lot of the plants available with their requirements.

I am planning on running CO2 in this system. I am going to the beach today to find some tree stump driftwood, so I am looking at getting plants like Java Fern, Anubias and Mosses. My tank is a little over 30 cm deep, perhaps this would be more suitable? http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/fish/lights-lamps/auction-740632031.htm

or this

http://www.pet.co.nz/product/fish/glo-t5-double/6712

Regards

Will

I used it in my previous tank. Works well but make sure you put a decent layer of substrate over the top - I used Daltons Propagating Sand on top and when you gravel clean be very careful not to disturb the ferts as it can get very messy. Same with planting out and removing plants, do it carefully. When filling I recommend placing an open plastic bag over the substrate, then a dinner sized plate and running the water gently on to the plate.

As far as growing plants go its a good fertiliser.

I was hoping to keep the soil look, does it have to be covered in another substrate? I was planning on scaping it something like this:

mytanktrial0011_zps97bb944d.jpg

So I want to keep the soil and sand separate. Is there another type of soil I should be using?

If you use Dalton's aquatic mix then you definitely need a good 4-5cm layer of sand over top. 1. it leaches nutrients into the water easily, 2. fish can disturb it easily, 3. if you ever disturb it accidentally.

Dalton's aquatic mix is a muddy substrate when wet and will cloud your tank badly if exposed. Perfect for growing root plants, not required for the fern, anubias and mosses you want. Liquid ferts and co2 is all you need for them.

So maybe a coarser dirt looking gravel substrate is what you need if its the look you are after.

Wait for other opinions but I am thinking black fluorite or black grit.

If you go to our fnzas Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FNZAS?ref_type=bookmark and look at the discus tank picture posted today the substrate is Daltons propagating sand over Daltons Aquatic mix.

I am planning on having a carpeting effect for my aquascape, will the sand be adequate for that? Other than that it looks fine for my purposes :)

What are you going to use for carpet plants? None of those you have listed will carpet your tank.

Flourite is a porous clay gravel which will cloud if disturbed, should be rinsed before using as with pretty much all gravels.

Sorry - that was a quick list I put together.

Here is my fuller list:

Hair Grass (Carpeting)

Java Fern

Java Moss

Amazon Sword

Anubias Nana

There is a more accurate list. And after doing a bit more research, that Fluorite Black Sand looks really nice, should contrast against the normal sand "beach" I have planned. This weekend im going off to find some driftwood for the tank :) Im looking for a really nice "tree stump" piece.

I got flourite black sand in my tank. It's a bit expensive, but got a couple of bags for a slightly cheaper price at lfs. Here's a good article about how to wash flourite http://www.vickisaquaticplace.com/fluorite.html. The drying-it-out-under-sun part is indeed important, and it worked for me. Makes planting stuff pretty easy, too.

My advice would be that if you are going sword plant then you should make sure you have a decent fertiliser in under the substrate as swords are heavy root feeders.

If you want hair grass you will also need suitable lighting for it as it prefers medium to high light. Make sure you get some decent scissors to trim it with if you want a short carpet :) Most of the stuff in the shops is sold already trimmed up.

I have flourite/black grit mix in my current tank and it is really nice and using a mix helped keep the cost down as fluorite is expensive.

If you are not limited by cost 'spider wood' is available from shops which essentially is a small stump with lots of twisted roots. Mind you, its not a lot more costly than standard driftwood but it certainly is much nicer.

My advice would be that if you are going sword plant then you should make sure you have a decent fertiliser in under the substrate as swords are heavy root feeders.

If you want hair grass you will also need suitable lighting for it as it prefers medium to high light. Make sure you get some decent scissors to trim it with if you want a short carpet :) Most of the stuff in the shops is sold already trimmed up.

I have flourite/black grit mix in my current tank and it is really nice and using a mix helped keep the cost down as fluorite is expensive.

If you are not limited by cost 'spider wood' is available from shops which essentially is a small stump with lots of twisted roots. Mind you, its not a lot more costly than standard driftwood but it certainly is much nicer.

Thanks for that, I have some surgical scissors around somewhere, should be suitable. I would prefer to collect my own Spider Wood from the beach, failing that I will buy some.

Regarding lighting, will either of these be suitable?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/fish/lights-lamps/auction-740632031.htm

or

http://www.pet.co.nz/product/fish/glo-t5-double/6712

Obviously I would prefer the cheaper one, but if I am going to get considerably better growth from the Glo T5 then I will go with that. If anyone has a fixture they think I should go with, please tell me! I am interested in any and all help.

To be honest, I have never been there in my life. I head over to Tata Beach quite a bit, is it any where near there?

Nah its atleast an hours drive away. Also you'd be better off trying to collect your own spider-type wood as I haven't seen any for sale in Nelson.