Interesting discus behaviour

morfin

I don't know if you can or would want to do this but years ago I was having issues with a discus with swim bladder that kept swimming on its side due to the extra air in the swim bladder.

I managed to wedge a net to hold the discus in place between the net and glass of the tank but so that it was lying the correct way and couldn't rotate around. They next morning it was fine and free swimming happily.

I realise bloat is not the same but it might help, if you can do it without stressing your discus more.

Perfect idea. With the help of a big net, a peg, a coat hanger and a pillowcase for a weight, he is now fully supported upright and doesn't have to try to keep himself up. Hopefully he can relax, although to be honest it doesn't look good and I feel horrible. He's going to rest for the rest of the night so cross fingers

My, mine have been doing exactly the same, and again it's a red pigeon and a blue snakeskin. I've pretty much worked out the blue is the female since she appears to be taking first swipes at the horizontal pipe in the tank, with mr pigeon following up the rear (not literally obviously).... They are now on their third go around over about two weeks, first time nothing, second time eggs that went AWOL the day after the deed, this time, more of a slow pragmatic approach it would appear. Likewise mine are in a comm tank with other discus and random others so minimal chance I guess. I did put them in their own tank last week, but they just sulked and looked away whenever I walked past.... Grumpy buggers. Anyways, yep yours seem to be trying it on..... Must be that time of year for discus frisky business :f77:

The old frisky discus business. No issue with it as long as they lose their grumpiness, otherwise I'm gonna trash their party! :phb:

Little mr pigeon has made it through. He's done more number 2's than I ever thought possible, and is resting comfortably in his hospital for another night before heading home tomorrow. Thanks Adrienne for the perfect idea, it definitely helped him.

As an aside the discus are back at it again, so they have one week to sort it out before one is offered for rehoming. While I love them, I love the three I can't freaking see too! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have eggs! 108 to be precise. Not that I want them to hatch but it's pretty cool. Interestingly since they laid they are more laid back then before so peace is reining at the moment. How exciting! Although some are a red colour and some a bright orange so I'm guessing they are already dead?

My tank is 450 litres, running an FX5 + sun sun 1400 (I think), uv steriliser and 50 - 60% water changes every 3 days Also pretty heavily planted.

Discus grow at different rates, there is always one in a tank that is smaller. My discus range in size from around 4cm - 8cm but like you there is a noticeable difference in the growth rates. The small 4cm one is the one that was being bullied by the pigeon and didn't come out to eat for around 8 weeks, clearly must have eaten scraps that drifted into its hiding spot. Is now out and eating but only eats whiteworms and discus tucker. Doesn't touch bloodworms or dried foods.

Just watching them lay their second lot of eggs - how cool to actually see it. My apologies to Mr G, my discus - turns out she's Mrs G. Have to feel a bit sorry for her, she's laying the eggs and the blue one is coming along after her eating them all. The last pass, he had eaten the first two, while she was laying the last two - seems a little disrespectful for the effort!

lol

I have eggs as well, laid early today I think. The male is the male from the last spawning but he has now paired with what I thought was Mr Turq, appears Mr is Mrs as well :) There is a threesome guarding the eggs, my rose red has joined the group. I suspect that is a she as well. Of course the eggs are laid on the FX5 filter intake.

Must be something in the air..... My pigeon nd blue snake pair have been at it again, two batches but both turned white within 24hrs...

Now gender unsure blue Turk is attempting to join the soirée..... Without much success. Sadly for the latter, the remaining two "singletons" are both rather young, so I am coming to suspect I have one lesbian couple, one is singleton of unknown gender, nd two adolescents (who will no doubt start banging away soon as younguns seem to do these days).

Typing on n iPad sucks, but can't be bothered fixing those typos, hopefully it makes sense.

Ps. Any thoughts on how I might break up my suspected lesbians?

True, I think my blue Turk must also be a girl on that basis.... She does the whole shimmy thing all about, and is now sulking rather alot, the two juveniles will I think be awhile off doing the deed, until then I guess it's a lesbian threesome. ( isn't that a tv show somewhere?) lol

Probably but on a channel you have to pay for. My two are going again tonight but its different this time. The Turq has been doing a ninety degree thing to the part where the eggs come from but there are no eggs at yet. Should be interesting to see what happens.