Steve's Aquaone Nano 40 Marine Attempt

fantapants22

So Just did another test on the water

25degrees

.025 salinity

PH 8.0

Amonia 0 (looked more like .25 last time but definitely zero this test 10 days down the track)

No2 0 ppm

No3 5.0 ppm

So yeah everything is exactly the same really, have started getting yellow colored rock however in the past 4 days

IMG_2211_zps9d6fac11.jpg

IMG_2210_zpscfb114cf.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you cycling with a piece of frozen shrimp?

Doesn't seem like your ammonia or nitrates are high enough to be decently cycling.

Na I didnt in the end as I got that bit of live rock,

Yeah i was thinking the same thing it has been 3 weeks now perhaps I should have done more testing in the initial week or so I know that having live rock can enable it to cycle very quickly on occasions.

The presence of Diatoms is the ending of the cycle is it not? as diatoms appear once the bacteria is present and then disappear once the bacteria feeding it has been used up?

Correct me if im wrong im not 100% sure

Do you reckon I should go get a bit of shrimp from supermarket anyway? or give it another week and see what happens?

Ideally you want no nitrite and no ammonia only a little bit of Nitrate which is what I have, perhaps Its cycled faster then I was expecting. Will wait it out anyhow and get coral frags and make sure they adapt well before I introduce any form of live stock

Na I didnt in the end as I got that bit of live rock,

Yeah i was thinking the same thing it has been 3 weeks now perhaps I should have done more testing in the initial week or so I know that having live rock can enable it to cycle very quickly on occasions.

The presence of Diatoms is the ending of the cycle is it not? as diatoms appear once the bacteria is present and then disappear once the bacteria feeding it has been used up?

Correct me if im wrong im not 100% sure

Do you reckon I should go get a bit of shrimp from supermarket anyway? or give it another week and see what happens?

Ideally you want no nitrite and no ammonia only a little bit of Nitrate which is what I have, perhaps Its cycled faster then I was expecting. Will wait it out anyhow and get coral frags and make sure they adapt well before I introduce any form of live stock

yea you might have missed all your spikes. cycle might be done. same thing happend to me. didnt test for a week or so and missed the whole thing.

One way to find out, get your baseline and then put some shrimp in and see how fast your ammonia and nitrite is removed.

Also if you have no nutrient source, you will starve your beneficial bacteria, until the dying bacteria is enough nutrients to just barely keep a small amount of your beneficial bacteria alive.

One way to find out, get your baseline and then put some shrimp in and see how fast your ammonia and nitrite is removed.

Also if you have no nutrient source, you will starve your beneficial bacteria, until the dying bacteria is enough nutrients to just barely keep a small amount of your beneficial bacteria alive.

How do I do that whats my baseline?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

News since last post I now have my Coralbox M1-30 wow what an amazing light unit! beautiful color and definitely tonnes of power I dont even need to go past 50% on its changes between times which is also a beautiful feature for me being a shift working and not home to play with buttons manually all the time.

Got Morcs bubblemag QQ skimmer and his WP-10 wave maker, which I put in the tank shortly after these guys arrived!

two young Ocellaris Clownfish arrived via overnight shipping from auckland today the clowns are happily swimming around glad to be out of a bag that they were in for 25 hours, was so relieved to open the box and see them both swimming around!

Im also going to Christchurch next weekend to pickup a new car I bought so will be able to buy some goodies from a pet shop which will be an exciting first in the marine world for me! Obviously corals will be on the agenda what kind of cleanup crew would you guys recommend on this setup?

IMG_2346_zpscee3cc51.jpg

IMG_2347_zps8498b0bd.jpg

Cleaner shrimp, couple hermits and a bunch of snails. Snails can just be local catseyes if you want, really no difference there.

My flatmate was down in Christchurch last week at the marine shops. He said that Redwood apparently don't have much at the moment. Organisms have a bunch of small frags ($30/ea) but none that interesting to be honest, and some larger corals for $150 ish. Not sure about CUC. Living Reef have some real nice colonies of green or yellow zoas, $50 each, I recommend grabbing at least one (I got a green colony, lovely looking specimen but they had aiptasia so unless you have aiptasia-x you may want to reconsider).

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend contacting lsaunders (Lisa Walker) on Trademe ([email protected]), she is located in Rangiora. She has shitloads of very nice frags, some are a bit pricey but you may just have to bite the bullet with that. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=664288 - She often has more than that available though, and if you ask early enough she can frag them for you in advance if she doesn't have any immediately available.