Steve's Aquaone Nano 40 Marine Attempt

fantapants22

Hi everyone!

Been a Aquarium nut for awhile now and finally decided to take the plunge to marine for obvious reasons and rewards!

Not really too familiar with Marine but I'll look at this project as a learning experience on the way, would go for a bigger tank to start but I am restricted to the space in my room (which already holds my tropical freshwater) until I purchase my own place.

So far I have bought the following . . . Still waiting on a bunch to arrive however . . .

AquaNano 40 Durrr . . .

Refractometer

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt Mix 7kg

API Saltwater Master Test Kit

Carbon Activated Pellets

120w Marine Lighting LED with Hang kit

3Kg Sand (not live)

6Kg Coral Rock (not live, freaking impossible to get down here)

Think thats it so far, I am going to up grade water pump and purchase wavemaker etc shortly

The tank came with 55w heater which is sufficient and the 500l/h pump and a 10w Led light bar. couple cartridges of some type of media that slot in a plastic box glued to the inside of the 1st compartment on the back.

Apparently the media included is completely useless? therefore I was told to get the Active Carbon and after some research also looks like I should purchase some purigen or something?

Would there be anything else I need? keeping in mind I have a long cycle ahead (hopefully the guy that operates the marine tank in pet shop down here can give me some live rock from sump to kick start my cycle as they could only order me in 20-25kgs which is not the amount I'm after haha)

Do I need any of this media in the tank when Im just doing the cycle to kick the rock into life? or is it only required when I get fish down the line?

Anything else I should consider buying for the cycle of the tank? :dunno:

any help would be fantastic!! :bggrn:

in the mean time ill be doing this till the rest of it arrives :mbh:

IMG_2124_zps27091cf3.jpgIMG_2125_zps884e2457.jpgIMG_2126_zps54947b02.jpgIMG_2127_zps18521e3d.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see the photos from work, is the light the chinese cheapie from ebay? (the "165W" rated ones). I found mine was pretty good from ebay, however in testing the lights I found they drove the LEDs to 1.6W for white and 1.8W for colored, resulting in a total output of 95W. In my 60L marine I have them cranked to 100% brightness and it is only just bright enough, but I am really happy with the colors.

If it is the same unit, I would recommend opening it up and taking all of the lenses off. They do nothing but reduce the light output (I tested optics vs no optics, and couldn't really tell the difference in terms of light spread, only intensity). Also get some new fans, I recommend http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160772893060?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 because the old ones are really noisy.

I would recommend purigen, but don't think carbon filtering is all that important on a small tank. The carbon used needs to be high quality and changed regularly, if you can do this then it can't hurt but probably isn't necessary. Filter floss filtering is good for water polishing, but only if you can regularly change this media out (harbors nitrates).

For powerhead I would recommend the Jebao WP-10 from fish street, really nice unit.

It *MIGHT* be worth buying 1 or 2kg of live rock and getting it shipped down to you in water (a heatpack isn't necessary imo). It really kickstarts your cycle, can turn a 3 month cycle into a 1 month cycle!

You only need rock, sand, circulation and a waste source to start cycling, don't need media or lights. A tiny piece of frozen shrimp is a good start.

If you have the money to spare, I think Nutrafin cycle couldn't hurt. I used it, I don't know if it helped (because it is freshwater bacteria not saltwater) but it's relatively cheap and don't think it can do any harm.

Good luck!

Thanks Morcs,

yeah they seem to be a popular choice, I can see why though being easy to setup and affordable - well for a marine atleast :D

Yeah I had a look over you're tank progress which is definitely good help! did you rip out that filter cartridge holder thingy thats in the first compartment of your nano?

Think I am going to make some type of DIY media holder with a few different compartments so I can house the carbon/ purigen/ phosguard media.

What gsxr you got? :bggrn: :bggrn: :bggrn: I ride a k7 750, love of my life haha :love:

Hi Kinnadian!

The light I got is Brand from LG- LED with blue and white no lenses just a big clear one by the looks of it

314737642_zps0508a930.jpg314737722_zps12786f3d.jpg314837972_zps4d82a8a7.jpg314838096_zpsa3d95e12.jpg

Thats pics of the light unit I have on way, Cheers for the link for the fans as if they are noisy itl be a pain being in my room and all, it should show up tomorrow with the rest of the stuff hopefully! then I can mix my first batch of saltwater up (which Ill have to google/youtube) and put the rock in :happy2:

I'll wait till the end to add my sand, as I understand the rock gets crap flaking of it during its initial "break'in" period.

I got Dupla Marin carbon which im told was good quality, hope it was for the price I paid! I will definitely order some Purigen and Phosgaurd and that should be good for when It comes time so thanks for that!

Yes the wp10 was exactly what seems to do the trick and I see thats what Morcs is running so know it works :D

Im really hoping I can get the pet shop guy to give me a couple hunks of live rock, its the only marine tank I know of around here so fingers crossed, if not Id be willing to pay someone to ship me a couple pieces if able? Cross that bridge if I get there though, Ill twist the petshop owners arm :D :D

So I need a bit of frozen shrimp? as in a piece of real shrimp or do you mean the frozen brine shrimp? as I have that for my tropical fish :D

okey dokey ill look into some form of cycle stuff, Im not in any major hurry to cycle guess I like to do it once do it properly :D ill do some research on it though for sure! :) cheers for the help guys :D

Steve

What gsxr you got? :bggrn: :bggrn: :bggrn: I ride a k7 750, love of my life haha :love:

L1 600 :)

Sounds you on the right track with the tank, even a fist sized piece of live rock will help. I took out a bag of live rock rubble from mine last week, shoulda said earlier, i wouldve given it to ya! Its all dry now :(

L1 600 :)

Sounds you on the right track with the tank, even a fist sized piece of live rock will help. I took out a bag of live rock rubble from mine last week, shoulda said earlier, i wouldve given it to ya! Its all dry now :(

Aw yes nice nice duno about up north but the gixxers are like hens teeth down here, all Yamaha and kwakers haha

Yeah shouldn't take much should it? Aw snap! Well my dry rock and salt mix "should" show up today or tomorrow at the latest so I will go into pet shop in weekend and see if I can get a bit of live rock out of the marine tank they have, even though they have a red sea max 500 tank in the store they don't sell any form of marine live stock or corals etc they can only order in stuff from this list they get once a week.

Had a look at the list last week and it was a bit bare was hardly anything on it!

So when it comes time for frags : livestock looks like I will be forking out the $35 for shipping :/ and the hope that it shows up in good nick

I plan on getting a couple ocellaris clowns when tank is ready, original I know but my favourite type the blue tang is a bit big for the wee nano sadly haha

But I'm still mega excited to get this nano up and running I've been wanting to get into marine for awhile but from a glimpse it looked too scary to setup and maintain.

All it took was a bit of (hours after hours) reading and researching forums like this, righto I better get to work :D

Rock and sand has shown up! dont know if its just me but the so called "sand" I ordered off aquaworld seems to looks more like little stones? was the only option I just figured it would be more "sandy" like the sand thats still scattered on/around the rocks that came in same parcel.

Anyone able to shed some light on this? use this stuff I got or hiff it and get actual sand?

IMG_2130_zpsc207eeb3.jpg

IMG_2129_zps5a11c35e.jpg

IMG_2128_zps55416e0e.jpg

Just checked shipping status for my bucket of salt and it arrived in Dunedin a couple hours ago so that will be at my door tomorrow afterwork hopefully not a dang courier has been card haha Then I can get the cycle started tomorrow night! :D

Also was talking to some work mates today and turns out one of their sons is big in marine aquariums and lives in Dunedin so that could be my answer for some Live Rock! WOOOOOO :happy2: :thup:

That coral sand looks about right to me. You don't want too fine of a sand or it will get stirred up too easily by the flow in the tank. And fine sand would also create dead spots under it. What aquaworld sent you is the right stuff to use.

That coral sand looks about right to me. You don't want too fine of a sand or it will get stirred up too easily by the flow in the tank. And fine sand would also create dead spots under it. What aquaworld sent you is the right stuff to use.

Awesome Cheers for that, I thought so also after looking at it again, was thinking too much of the beach I think :facepalm:

:iag: . i have used that same stuff in my old 130l and my old 54l.

i prefer it over aragonite and looks much whiter under water and under the lights.

IMG_2131_zps6c350ab3.jpg

Tested tank for leaks : all good, also tested pump and heater which are fine so put them in the 3rd compartment and chucked the rocks in, whats your opinion on rinsing them first before I add water?

i always do. get a big bucket and a power head and go to the nearest beach if you can so you dont have to waste precious salt, put it in the bucket of salt water and blow the rock with the power head. will get rid of excess dust and stuff. you only need to do this once or twice. depending how much stuff comes out. its not a big deal but thats what i like to do.

i always do. get a big bucket and a power head and go to the nearest beach if you can so you don't have to waste precious salt, put it in the bucket of salt water and blow the rock with the power head. will get rid of excess dust and stuff. you only need to do this once or twice. depending how much stuff comes out. its not a big deal but that's what i like to do.

Sweet as thanks Daz mate I shall stick with the sand I got, makes sense :D

Yea was just thinking cause it has beach like quality sand all through the rock and its all wet and damp when it arrived so it must of been in a sump or something recently? hah yeah think I will do that as there is crap on and in the rock thanks for that idea i shall do that tomorrow.

Not that I'm going too but what would be the negatives of washing it like with the freshwater/ hose per say?

Sweet as thanks Daz mate I shall stick with the sand I got, makes sense :D

Yea was just thinking cause it has beach like quality sand all through the rock and its all wet and damp when it arrived so it must of been in a sump or something recently? hah yeah think I will do that as there is crap on and in the rock thanks for that idea i shall do that tomorrow.

Not that I'm going too but what would be the negatives of washing it like with the freshwater/ hose per say?

If it is dead rock, the only negatives are that you may get some contaminants from the water which end up on the rock, and into your tank. Mainly this is chlorine. If you washed it in RODI water, no negatives at all.

I would recommend scrubbing it rather than just blowing the rock with a powerhead. This will get rid of any crusted on algae or other deposits.

Also most people "cure" dead rock, which is essentially putting the rocks in a bucket with salt water and letting any nutrients/phosphates/dead bacteria/etc to leech out into the water. This process can be done from anywhere from 1 week to 3+ months, depends on the person really. By doing this outside of your display tank, it keeps the leeching out of the sand. This can of course be done in the tank itself, just don't put any sand in and don't turn the lights on at all. The curing process can also simultaneously be done with the cycling process, so test phosphates at the start of your cycle (after having a few days for the rocks to leech) and see if there are any, and if there are if they reduce over time.

If it was live rock, you definitely need to wash it in salt water. NSW or ASW, no difference really.

I would recommend scrubbing it rather than just blowing the rock with a powerhead. This will get rid of any crusted on algae or other deposits.

Also most people "cure" dead rock, which is essentially putting the rocks in a bucket with salt water and letting any nutrients/phosphates/dead bacteria/etc to leech out into the water. This process can be done from anywhere from 1 week to 3+ months, depends on the person really.

+1, as scrubbing rock is better, it will most likely release more phosphates so best to cure if doing this.

All depends on how clean the rock looks, a bit of die off once its in the tank is beneficial for the cycle as provides a food source for the bacteria.

Cheers for that guys, Got caught up in weekend been crazy busy. But think I might go get some nsw and scrub cure the rocks in there for a week or so just to keep all the crappy leeching bits out of the tank. Everything has arrived now which is good just need to get that wp10 wavemaker and some acrylic to make the holder for the media when it comes time,

Also need to figure out how to set these darn lights up as it come with a hang kit but thats absolutely useless to me got nothing to hang it from, Might have to make a D.I.Y stand/ legs for it so it can sit on the tank instead, could just make acrylic side frame like stands that screw into the side, Will have a brain storm and go from there :)

Well before work tonight I went to supermarket and bought 60 litres of RO water, and then the pet shop and got a beefy heater and couple thermometers and pump for mixing the salt, all went well tank is now full and running :D

Also I managed to source a piece of Live rock with is great will pick that up this weekend hopefully, please note the light in pic is just so I could see what I was doing it is not the light I will be using once I get livestock and corals, In fact im wondering if I jumped into purchasing that Light I have too quick as I am a shift worker and not always home to turn lights on/ off which could be a problem. Might have to upgrade to something that has a timer function, any recommendations for something under $300?

IMG_2165_zps7c34d9f1.jpg

IMG_2166_zps2ab67983.jpg

IMG_2167_zps3f6dff7b.jpg

IMG_2168_zps8a9e8595.jpg

IMG_2169_zpsdc1a9141.jpg

Simple plug timer for 10 bux will fix it.

Otherwise check out my thread for the coral box m1-30, cost me about 3 hundy

Yeah thought about that, And yeah I love the look that the m1-30 gives off I might be sold on that kit, was that the v2 version off fishstreet for about $240nzd plus $40 shipping approx? how long does this fish street stuff take to arrive ive seen that quite a lot of people in here purchase from them.

Also I just put a 1.5kg chunk of live rock in the nano that I got from a guy that has a 650 litre setup here in Dunedin so that looked pretty cool. Picture come out a lot more green for some reason its more of a rock brown color

IMG_2173_zps44b079f9.jpg

Wow never had one buzz before. Are you using analog or digital timers? I know analog tick.

As I said I've got 7 timers and not a single one makes a noise, and I would know because I hate noise. Got HPM, Arlec and elto brand ones.

Always analogue!

Yeah it is hair algae the tank its from has a heap of it as gets sunlight where as my tank doesnt and the algae on the rock is practically all died off now.

Hah hmmm to risk a buzzy timer or not? Might just get those lights from fish street they look pretty wicked and practical for me also I dont have too much socket space.

Tank is running along just fine the dead rock is starting to darkin up a bit now with bits of purple and brown. Will take my first test of the water this weekend and post results :)

Yeah it is hair algae the tank its from has a heap of it as gets sunlight where as my tank doesnt and the algae on the rock is practically all died off now.

Hah hmmm to risk a buzzy timer or not? Might just get those lights from fish street they look pretty wicked and practical for me also I dont have too much socket space.

Tank is running along just fine the dead rock is starting to darkin up a bit now with bits of purple and brown. Will take my first test of the water this weekend and post results :)

Nice, yeah make sure you send an email to Eric after you order to get an australian plug :) Its so good not having to run a light through an adaptor AND a timer :cry1: