Has anyone ever moved from north to south island?

samuel90

Hey guys,

in 7-8 weeks I am moving from Tauranga to Queenstown and I really do not want to sell up my africans and start again- but I have no idea where to even begin with trying to move down with my fish.

I will be flying down, and moving into a studio apartment...room for my bed and my 75gal.

What on earth do I do with trying to get my fish down?

Should I move down, buy a new tank setup and run it for 2 weeks or so then see if a fish shop can courier my fish down? My mother is clueless with fish so wouldn't be able to catch a fish....let alone package them and courier them.

What would you do?

All help appreciated.... Stressing out thinking about how I can make this work.

Perhaps a fellow local fish buddy could help you by having your tank at at their place and couriering down the fish when you have another tank ready... etc Not sure if the cost of sending down your tank would be worth it ,it may be better to get another tank etc when you arrive .

Just my thoughts Gill

Perhaps a fellow local fish buddy could help you by having your tank at at their place and couriering down the fish when you have another tank ready... etc Not sure if the cost of sending down your tank would be worth it ,it may be better to get another tank etc when you arrive .

Just my thoughts Gill

Thanks Gill!

I do not have any fish buddies at all! I would totally not mind paying someone $100 if they could take care of them for 2-3 weeks though. Maybe i could find a Tauranga FNZAS member that can send?

I will definitely end up either building a plywood tank, or wasting my savings on a BOYU and having it shipped from Christchurch. Not a cheap venture, but it is my only hobby so I figure it is justified! haha

Sam

Finding a long-term fish-sitter is about your only option, other than keeping all your gear and selling the fish, then starting again when you're settled. Certainly consider selling off some fish that are easier to replace, unless you have a big sentimental attachment to them you may find it's cheaper (and certainly less stressful for the fish) to start again with locally sourced young than have someone care for then ship large adult fish.

You could try Livingart, Mark is a nice guy and may organise shipping your fish ( Poste Haste seem to be the most popular) if you ask him nicely. Queenstown is not noted for having a surplus of good tropical fish.

• 1 month later...