Lighting for my beginner tank

Mudguard

Hi, all. I recently decided to get back into keeping tropical fish. The last experience I had keeping them, as a 14 year old, did not end that well, but I think I'm older and wiser now :fshi: .

I recently bought a small tank which came with an Aqua One Clearflow 300 filter, and a Jebo 100 w heater. The tank is 50L X 34.5H X 30W. There is a 3/4 width piece of glass that goes on top of the tank.

I am bit overwhelmed by lighting choices, but I'd like something cheapish that will make plants in the aquarium glow and keep the fish happy. I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

What sort of plants are you thinking of keeping?

If you go to the top left of this page, click on home and go to the plants there is a database in there of plants and their lighting requirements.

If you are looking low - mid light plants a T8 light fitting will work. If you are looking at red plants or plants requiring high light you will need T5HO lighting. More than 30cm deep and T8 struggle to penetrate. There are also LED options on the market but I don't know anything about them.

Look up finnex fugeray. I'm selling an almost new 16inch unit that'll work well for your tank for 60$. No bulbs too replace, energy efficient, switchable moonlighting, compact and rated at medium light for plants.

Find my planted nano thread and you can see differences between a few led units I went through.was very happy with the finnex and now using one on my saltwater tank

What sort of plants are you thinking of keeping?

I haven't really thought about it, but things that are cheap, hardy and easy to grow. I noticed this post http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?p=708564#p708564 the other day which suggests java fern, java moss, xmas moss, hygrophila polysperma, crypts and indian fern.

Look up finnex fugeray. I'm selling an almost new 16inch unit that'll work well for your tank for 60$. No bulbs too replace, energy efficient, switchable moonlighting, compact and rated at medium light for plants.

I'll certainly consider it. How much would postage to Palmerston North be?

I haven't really thought about it, but things that are cheap, hardy and easy to grow. I noticed this post http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?p=708564#p708564 the other day which suggests java fern, java moss, xmas moss, hygrophila polysperma, crypts and indian fern.

I'll certainly consider it. How much would postage to Palmerston North be?

I'll post it for 5$ even though I'll cost more

I wonder the price is open to negotiation? It seems like I could get a new one via Amazon for not too much more. Also, I was wondering what you did to make the light usable here in NZ(110V in America; 220V here in NZ).

Something like the aquaone T8 reflector fluroglow 15W 18" single might not provide enough light to bottom of my 34.5 cm deep tank?

I wonder the price is open to negotiation? It seems like I could get a new one via Amazon for not too much more. Also, I was wondering what you did to make the light usable here in NZ(110V in America; 220V here in NZ).

Something like the aquaone T8 reflector fluroglow 15W 18" single might not provide enough light to bottom of my 34.5 cm deep tank?

Open to neogitation but not by a whole lot as its almost new and already in the country a 8)

Don't waste time your time with t8s. Nowadays I wouldn't even consider them in a plantless tank!

Just much better options nowadays with colours, smaller and cooler units that don't require bulb replacements and use less power!

If I had a t8 unit already I'd use it, but I wouldn't go out and buy one after using LEDs on multiple applications.