planted tank Substrate

edmondsng

Hi,

I am looking for the right planted tank substrate. Someone actually suggested Dalton aquatic mix and propgating sand. My concern with that is would it alters the PH of the water. Getting the substrate from the fish shop would cost quite a bit. Has anyone used the Dalton's mix?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ed

hiya

I have just started using the aquatic mix base as well based on posts from here i thought i would give it a go on my new tank. I have found my plants are happier even though its only been setup just under a week.

New growth was evident around the 2nd or 3rd day which suprised me because plants like to settle in first so i guess they settled real quick.

On top od the mix i have used number 1 sand from placemakers. Below is a closeup pic of sand, bear in mind the plants is just over an inch tall, i zoomed close to see the sand :)

Dsc00368.jpg

The fish love the sand, they pick it up and sift it in their mouths looking for food :)

I use CO2 and homemade fertiliser as well in the water.

I used about 1-1/2 " of mix covered in about 2" of sand

Time will tell but based on what i have seen in last few days this is going to work well :)

hiya

The daltons aquatic mix i got from palmers in takanini

an the sand from placemakers in takanini

Im not sure what mitre 10 have got in way of sand, give them a try though.

I tried bunnings first as i was there at the time getting plumbing bits but they didnt have any.

Hey there

Im also having trouble looking for some planted tank substrate.

Decided to bite the bullet and purchase some flash JBL aquabasis, but now have another problem. Where to find fine sand / gravel for the top?

American forums etc seem to recommend 2-3mm c.f. plantedtank.net

Most gravels for sale in shops and landscapers are 3-6mm. I've found the sand at Placemaker types to be very fine, and the sandblasting sand to be unsuitable.

Im going crazy trying to find 2-3mm sand / gravel. Grr pls help. Tried one pool place but didnt look like silica type sand. Might have to try another in the weekend.

Let me know what has and hasnt worked and whether I'll just have to buy some 3-6mm gravel for my plants. (crypts etc)

thanks!

I am in wellington, and get most of my gravel from the beach, it is very similar to what you describe, have a look in my photo album below, at some pics of my tanks and you can kinda see it in some of the pics, but not all.

hopwe this helps

B