AquaNano 51L Reef... From start to finish!

samuel90

I will be uploading photos as it goes, and updating all the crap I end up having to buy and how much they cost incase anyone else is thinking of making one!

I know there are a few "Watch my nano" progress forums, but one more can't hurt!

Today I have ordered the following!

AquaNano 51L - $199 incl. shipping

Aquaone 25w Heater (included)

Filter (included )- does anyone know the size? I think 500L/hour?

KM300 Nano-Skimmer $38.81 incl. shipping

API Master Reef testkit - $54.97 incl. shipping

4000L/hour wave maker $21.17 incl. shipping

50w LED Coral grow light- $135.07 incl. shipping

STILL TO BUY

Seachem Phytoplankton - $32.00 + shipping

Red Sea Aiptasia X -$24.90 + shipping

Red Sea NO3/PO4 X - $24.90 + shipping

Reef Foundation C - $19.90 + shipping

Reef Foundation A - $19.90 + shipping

Refractometer - $43.45 incl. shipping

RO Water- Dew from Countdown 10L $7.99

Purigen-$25 + shipping

Media rack- $xx

Reef Salt - $unsure- can anyone help me out here?

Live Rock- $unsure- can anyone help me out here?

ALL help is appreciated, even it contradicts what I have written above.... I have no problem learning from mistakes!

Planning on having 1 yellow goby, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 Royal gramma and 1 Clown Goby green, among some spa and soft corals :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock pump is 500lph.

Got a pic of that skimmer? cant seem to find anything on google for it?

You'll need some egg crate to make good use of filter chambers (all supplied media is useless for SW), and if your skimmer will fit in the middle chamber, id look at making something to go on the back of the overflow wier to push water up higher through it - as standard it wont work like an overflow unless you ran your water level really low. You cant do this if you have to run the skimmer in first chamber obviously.

Do you plan on running it without lids?

Looking forward to progress, i love the aquanano :D

Stock pump is 500lph.

Got a pic of that skimmer? cant seem to find anything on google for it?

You'll need some egg crate to make good use of filter chambers (all supplied media is useless for SW), and if your skimmer will fit in the middle chamber, id look at making something to go on the back of the overflow wier to push water up higher through it - as standard it wont work like an overflow unless you ran your water level really low. You cant do this if you have to run the skimmer in first chamber obviously.

Do you plan on running it without lids?

Looking forward to progress, i love the aquanano :D

here is the skimmer!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300948435707?ss ... 1497.l2649

you mean move the "comb" part up the top, and fill in the lower parts of the comb so water has to rise up high?

AS far as egg crate, what do you mean to make the filter better?

Yes I plan on using lids, to avoid too much water evaporation. Would you suggest?

Great start, regarding the salt - if you're going to be collecting your own NSW you won't need this, if you're making ASW I seen there's a cheap 20kg bucket of marinium branded salt on trademe up your ways, I've heard good things about it especially considering the price.

The eggcrate is generally used instead of a media rack to keep all your different type of media spaced apart allowing maximum flow through still, you will need either one if you plan on running purigen and some sort of carbon which most people generally use.

The api master reef test kit is a waste of money, you should have just got the saltwater test kit, reefsmart had these for a super low price last time I looked, the tests that come in the reef master kit are pretty useless and are not considered accurate enough for a reef tank especially when it looks like you are planning on dosing for sps type corals. Salifert is the brand you want especially for your Calcium, Magnesium, Nitrate and Phosphate tests.

Great start, regarding the salt - if you're going to be collecting your own NSW you won't need this, if you're making ASW I seen there's a cheap 20kg bucket of marinium branded salt on trademe up your ways, I've heard good things about it especially considering the price.

The eggcrate is generally used instead of a media rack to keep all your different type of media spaced apart allowing maximum flow through still, you will need either one if you plan on running purigen and some sort of carbon which most people generally use.

The api master reef test kit is a waste of money, you should have just got the saltwater test kit, reefsmart had these for a super low price last time I looked, the tests that come in the reef master kit are pretty useless and are not considered accurate enough for a reef tank especially when it looks like you are planning on dosing for sps type corals. Salifert is the brand you want especially for your Calcium, Magnesium, Nitrate and Phosphate tests.

Ah yes I will definitely be getting the marinium! good reviews online about it, so may as well give it a go!

Purigen, is this necessary? I have canisters on my cichlid tank, do i not just set up the back similar?

Will look into the Salifert test kit! I heard good things about API being a brand around a long time, interesting you don't recommend their reef test kit?

With a marine tank you don't really run a filter as the live rock acts as the biological filter. You can run mechanical filtration like a freshwater tank but this can quickly become a nitrate factory as detritus gets stuck in it. I use purigen and really recommend it, water clarity is amazing and it keeps most my parameters in acceptable levels.

With a marine tank you don't really run a filter as the live rock acts as the biological filter. You can run mechanical filtration like a freshwater tank but this can quickly become a nitrate factory as detritus gets stuck in it. I use purigen and really recommend it, water clarity is amazing and it keeps most my parameters in acceptable levels.

oh ok, so as far as the new filter in the back goes, how would you set it up? Will get some purigen and put that in a bag and in the back compartment?

Purigen and some form of activated carbon, just don't use the cheap crap lol. As to how I would set it up, I would copy Si_Sphinx design of his media rack and make one for the different types of media.

I have just pm'd him asking if I could commission him to make one haha No idea how to use/cut/glue perspex! Which I assume it is? lol

So get some Seachem Purigen on the top, activated carbon in the middle (Does this need to be replaced or is it permanent?) , and use my aragonite rubble for the bottom chamber. the middle section will have the skimmer, and third will house powerhead and heater? Correct?

When it all arrives will be able to see how it goes a lot easier! Courier just isn't fast enough.... has anyone ordered from reefsmart.co.nz before? What are the waiting times like?

I ordered some carbon from him yesterday, he posted it today so should be here tomorrow. I would go filter wool-purigen-carbon, no need for the rubble really. The filter wool should be replaced every water change or as needed and the carbon should last for 6 weeks on average.

I ordered some carbon from him yesterday, he posted it today so should be here tomorrow. I would go filter wool-purigen-carbon, no need for the rubble really. The filter wool should be replaced every water change or as needed and the carbon should last for 6 weeks on average.

Oh that sounds good aye. sorry ordered from reefsmart or from si_sphinx??

Reefsmart.

nice.

Hey what kinda of fish do you think would go alright and what type of corals would look good? :) Im totally unsure as to both! And Im having a hard time finding fish that are both a) allowed in NZ b) actually available in nZ. haha

The variety of marine fish available here is actually pretty good, it's just the prices that annoy me lol.

I'm actually pretty new to marine so can't really recommend many corals but so far I really like my softies and some types of lps. They look so good under aftinic or led lighting and that's what attracted me to reefing in the first place.

The variety of marine fish available here is actually pretty good, it's just the prices that annoy me lol.

I'm actually pretty new to marine so can't really recommend many corals but so far I really like my softies and some types of lps. They look so good under aftinic or led lighting and that's what attracted me to reefing in the first place.

Yes that is the same with me! It was all about the coral colours haha

Do you know I can buy egg crate if I end up having to make that filter tray thing myself?

I have pmed you. I can make you a media rack if you like. I also have some egg crate if you need some.

With the experience of my tank I would stack the media rack as follows:

- bottom section, coral rubble.

- mid section, purigen on bottom and carbon on top. You only need a small amount of carbon for 50ltrs of water and it should last 30 days.

- top section, sponge or filter wool.

If you load up the rack with too much media then you don't get very good water flow through it.

As for the purigen, after 30-40 days (or when it turns a creamy brown color) you can recharge it by soaking it in a 1 part bleach 3 parts water solution until it turns white again, rinse it until you can't smell the bleach anymore and then pop it back in the media rack.

I have seen there are different versions of this tank, one with the intake down the bottom and one with out. Mine didn't have this but I would seal it up because it isn't much use for a marine tank.

I have pmed you. I can make you a media rack if you like. I also have some egg crate if you need some.

With the experience of my tank I would stack the media rack as follows:

- bottom section, coral rubble.

- mid section, purigen on bottom and carbon on top. You only need a small amount of carbon for 50ltrs of water and it should last 30 days.

- top section, sponge or filter wool.

If you load up the rack with too much media then you don't get very good water flow through it.

As for the purigen, after 30-40 days (or when it turns a creamy brown color) you can recharge it by soaking it in a 1 part bleach 3 parts water solution until it turns white again, rinse it until you can't smell the bleach anymore and then pop it back in the media rack.

I have seen there are different versions of this tank, one with the intake down the bottom and one with out. Mine didn't have this but I would seal it up because it isn't much use for a marine tank.

Ahhh tha is exactly what I will do then! Haha it not that I'm against making one, I like to think of myself as a creative person haha, it's more this is getting expensive and I don't want to stuff it up and have to try two or three times haha

If you pm I would REALLY appreciate if you could give it a go to make another one? Would be very appreciative! :)

I have just pm'd him asking if I could commission him to make one haha No idea how to use/cut/glue perspex! Which I assume it is? lol

So get some Seachem Purigen on the top, activated carbon in the middle (Does this need to be replaced or is it permanent?) , and use my aragonite rubble for the bottom chamber. the middle section will have the skimmer, and third will house powerhead and heater? Correct?

When it all arrives will be able to see how it goes a lot easier! Courier just isn't fast enough.... has anyone ordered from reefsmart.co.nz before? What are the waiting times like?

For the egg crate I just used pliers to break it to make it the right size and cable tied it together! Works a treat! I run purigen and phosphate remover, and some rubble but the rubber is just because I have the spare space in my rack. Filter floss on the top and just change it weekly.

Mine took a few days i think. Was well packaged too.

Nice! Just got an email sayingits been sent!!

I have 4.54 KGs of carribsea aqua scaping rock in my grow out African tank - so can I consider it live rock? Or is live rock for marine different? I also have aragonite in there I'm thinking of using- is that akright??

You shouldn't have to soak the rock in acid. Just boil it, rinse all the crap out of it and dry it out before you begin your cycle in salt water. A lot of organic material will still fall off it so it would be good to have a bare bottom tank to siphon it out at water changes. Add your sand when your tank has cycled.