Axolotl's

TmanNZ

I have always wanted one of these Bizarre creatures but I thought a 55-60L (15Gal) Tank would never be big enough. But I now can get an axolotl for free from a mate and wondered if I could keep one through adulthood in this tank. I have been reading non stop and I have met all the requirements for my tank... No Gravel, Low flow, Cold water etc. Please Axy expertz comment :D :cofn:

Yeah ya can keep em in a tank that size. But, as Alanmin4304 said you will need to do more water changes. In smaller tanks they are also less active than in larger tanks. In a tank of the size you mentioned it would be best that you only keep one adult or two smaller individuals. Axolotls are filthy fiends so need good filtration or frequent water changes.They can cope without supplementary aeration.Labs often keep specimens in smaller tanks. I keep several smaller grow outs in the tank size you mention until I up grade them to the increasingly larger tanks. All this said its really best to keep them in a larger tank for their well being and for your viewing pleasure. If you can't afford a larger tank just go to Payless plastics or mitre 10 and buy a fish bin or large plastic tub and keep em in that. You can keep 2 in the bigger bins and at a push 3 with a good filter , surface area is more important than depth, but greater volume will stay cleaner longer( but no excuse for lack of cleaning).My smaller individuals are kept in fish bins until separation into the glass tanks. Sometimes if you have bare glass bottomed tank you will find axolotls toes wear down ( especially with new tanks which have very smooth glass bottoms) to stop this put thin sprinkling of sand on bottom this solves the problem. Using large river stones can be good but debris can lodge between stones so can be a pain. I find it best to put sprinkling of sand on bottom of tanks. Hope this helps.