Dwarf Gouramis still dodgy?

bobo

Hey guys,

I last bought Dwarf Gouramis (cobalt blue/flame) around 2009, and they died of some weird disease.

I posted on the forums around then, and people said they had a tendency to be sold diseased, or with high susceptibility to disease. Have things improved since then?

A second question: Do they operate well in groups? i.e. I was considering getting 10 or so?

TBH I think it depends on the batch that has come in as to how strong they are, ie time spent in travel, whats happened in quarantine, type of food they have been fed. Some types of dwarf gourami are more susceptible than others to water conditions and diseases.

the ones I got over a year ago didn't last very long, a couple of months at best.

I tried again December... early days yet, only 3 months but they seem to be doing really well and thriving. I make sure that at least once a week the tank only gets algae flakes/tablets instead of the usual tropical and NLS pellets. , this was advice given to me by the petshop in regards to the gourami - said their digestive system needs a gentler food at least once a week.. don't know how valid that is but they are doing well. I also fast the tank once a week followed by squashed peas in the late evening so I guess that's 2 days they are doing without meat based protein.,

Mine are gold honey dwarf gourami and have previously had std dwarf gourami that lived a good 2-3 years.